Pixel 8 Pro screen occassionally becomes completely unresponsive to touch (video)

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
Another extremely annoying bug I'm getting with the Pixel 8 Pro - occasionally (say once every two or three days), the phone becomes completely non-responsive to touch.

I've managed to record a video of the issue this time - the phone is able to unlock because it's using face unlock (hence why I have to lift it up to unlock it), but the screen won't respond to touch at all, despite me frantically swiping and tapping on it. It freezes like this for about 30 seconds to 3 minutes before it'll start responding to touch responses again. On Monday, I had phone call coming through can I literally could not answer the call because the screen was frozen and wouldn't respond to my touch.

So extremely frustrated with the phone. Anyone have this issue and know of a fix? I'm guessing if I go to Google I'll get the usual 'update apps, update software, clear cache and finally, do a factory reset. Oh it didn't fix it? Ok we'll escalate this to our level 2 technicians' and I'll never hear from them again.

I just don't get why there are so many issues with these phones.

bkeaver

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
There isn't. It seems you get them all for whatever reason. We just need to have a forum just for you. I've never in my life seen someone with so many issues.

So on a serious note, have you gone into safe mode and seen if any of these issues still persist?

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
So on a serious note, have you gone into safe mode and seen if any of these issues still persist?
Not yet. Guess I'll give that a shot.

When you set the device up did you transfer over apps and data from a different device?
Yes, from a Galaxy S23 Ultra. I always do apps/data transfers to a new phone.

It's possible you might have an app misbehaving.. If it keeps occurring I would suggest a factory reset and not adding back any of your apps right away to see ..
Problem is I can't seem to replicate it when I want, it just happens randomly. In addition to that, this phone is my daily driver, so I can't really go round not having applications on my phone as I use it for work.

Maljunulo

Jan 17, 2016
Visit site
My experience seems to say that the more crap you have on your phone, the more likely you are to have weird problems.

Just an observation, which I realize doesn’t help you fix yours.

bkeaver

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
Totally agree with the 2 previous posts to factory reset and install fresh apps not restored from a backup

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Only time I see that if in beta for Android version , are you? If not you using screen protector? If so is screen sensitivity on ?

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
I would definitely recommend a factory reset and setting up without transferring anything. It's a PITA I know, but it's the only way to ensure that there's nothing funky happening due to the data brought over.
I'll give it a shot on the weekend. Factory reset it and set it up from scratch, no transfer of data.

Only time I see that if in beta for Android version , are you? If not you using screen protector? If so is screen sensitivity on ?
I'm not on the beta and I don't have a screen protector on. Screen protector mode is off because I don't have a screen protector.

Pretty sure it's not a sensitivity issue. I'm banging my finger on the screen pretty hard in the video and it's just not responding.

Reactions: Laura Knotek

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I'll give it a shot on the weekend. Factory reset it and set it up from scratch, no transfer of data.

I'm not on the beta and I don't have a screen protector on. Screen protector mode is off because I don't have a screen protector.

Pretty sure it's not a sensitivity issue. I'm banging my finger on the screen pretty hard in the video and it's just not responding.
Screen sensitivity meaning screen protector mode , you probably going have to try what others suggested safe mode or factory reset

kenorian

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
Another extremely annoying bug I'm getting with the Pixel 8 Pro - occasionally (say once every two or three days), the phone becomes completely non-responsive to touch.

I've managed to record a video of the issue this time - the phone is able to unlock because it's using face unlock (hence why I have to lift it up to unlock it), but the screen won't respond to touch at all, despite me frantically swiping and tapping on it. It freezes like this for about 30 seconds to 3 minutes before it'll start responding to touch responses again. On Monday, I had phone call coming through can I literally could not answer the call because the screen was frozen and wouldn't respond to my touch.

So extremely frustrated with the phone. Anyone have this issue and know of a fix? I'm guessing if I go to Google I'll get the usual 'update apps, update software, clear cache and finally, do a factory reset. Oh it didn't fix it? Ok we'll escalate this to our level 2 technicians' and I'll never hear from them again.

This has happened to me a couple of times in the past few weeks. I just hit the power button to turn off the screen, and when I pressed it again to turn it on it was OK....

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Oh, no! That's so frustrating. My Pixel 7 randomly froze a week or two after getting it. These kinds of issues are definitely a bother -- especially during a phone call. I too was going to suggest Safe Mode. Any updates on your situation?

Davidoo

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
I've had the issue a couple of times since I've had the device. I installed clean and have very few apps. I also hit the power button and it started working again.

KatrinaOlson

Nov 27, 2023
Visit site

I just got my pixel 8 pro and it's doing same thing.. only wk old pisses me off and screen protector mode for increased touch is on

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
I just got my pixel 8 pro and it's doing same thing.. only wk old pisses me off and screen protector mode for increased touch is on
Sorry to hear that. Unfortunately I don't know of a fix and still occasionally get it, but I've stopped using the phone. Yet again way too many bugs and issues with a Pixel phone so I've gone back to my old phone.

Not sure what the solution is but hopefully an update will fix the problem soon.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dxter