Pixel XL - ONE Trusted Location not working, all others fine

therealasd

Jul 5, 2015
Visit site
I've been using Smart Lock since getting my Pixel and it's functioned pretty well, but lately, within the past week or so, my work trusted location has stopped bypassing my PIN code. Every other location and device, when I'm home, paired to my car's bluetooth, they all work fine. But when I'm at my office it never works. I've tried deleting the one location, rebooting the phone, and then re-adding the location to no avail.

Anyone else had this problem, where it isn't the entire Trusted Places but only one? Any solutions?

popkurn611

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
I've been using Smart Lock since getting my Pixel and it's functioned pretty well, but lately, within the past week or so, my work trusted location has stopped bypassing my PIN code. Every other location and device, when I'm home, paired to my car's bluetooth, they all work fine. But when I'm at my office it never works. I've tried deleting the one location, rebooting the phone, and then re-adding the location to no avail.

Anyone else had this problem, where it isn't the entire Trusted Places but only one? Any solutions?
I'm having a similar issue, just not the exact malfunction you are having. I am at work and this is the second day in the past month that my phone is bypassing my pattern and Fingerprint. My job location is not listed as a trusted place so that worries me. I restarted the phone and now it is making me use my fingerprint or pattern

thunderup

Dec 21, 2011
Visit site
I'm having a similar issue, just not the exact malfunction you are having. I am at work and this is the second day in the past month that my phone is bypassing my pattern and Fingerprint. My job location is not listed as a trusted place so that worries me. I restarted the phone and now it is making me use my fingerprint or pattern

I've been having the exact same issue as you...my phone will never lock. I have 2 trusted locations set up - home and work. Yet no matter where I am - dentist's office, kids' basketball games, etc., my phone completely bypasses my lock screen. It's pretty concerning. I have my phone set to automatically lock immediately after sleep and the power button instantly locks. But I can push the power button, swipe up on the screen, and the phone unlocks without pin or fingerprint. A few hours ago I removed my trusted locations and added them back, of course now I'm having the opposite problem and it won't bypass my lock screen at work even though I set it as a trusted location and I've been here about 6 hours. Very strange behavior.

popkurn611

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
I've been having the exact same issue as you...my phone will never lock. I have 2 trusted locations set up - home and work. Yet no matter where I am - dentist's office, kids' basketball games, etc., my phone completely bypasses my lock screen. It's pretty concerning. I have my phone set to automatically lock immediately after sleep and the power button instantly locks. But I can push the power button, swipe up on the screen, and the phone unlocks without pin or fingerprint. A few hours ago I removed my trusted locations and added them back, of course now I'm having the opposite problem and it won't bypass my lock screen at work even though I set it as a trusted location and I've been here about 6 hours. Very strange behavior.
Glad to know it isn't just me!

thunderup

Dec 21, 2011
Visit site
Well after a reboot smartlock is now functioning correctly at my office and bypassing my lock screen. I'll just need to test when I leave work and make sure it re-locks as that's the issue I'm most concerned with. OP - I know you said you deleted the location, rebooted, and added it back and it still isn't working. Try another reboot after adding it back if you haven't already. That's what got it working for me after doing the same steps you did.

therealasd

Jul 5, 2015
Visit site
The very odd thing is now, as of this afternoon, it's working with this location again.

I thought maybe Google Play services wasn't correctly reading my location or perhaps not reporting it to the app, but I could track everything in my Google location history, even within the Smart Lock settings where it would accurately tell me I am at the trusted place yet still not unlock the phone.

And now "magically" it's working again. Very strange. I had read somewhere that a complete wiope of the Smart Lock feature might have helped people before, specifically clearing all trusted places, turning Smart Lock off, uninstalling all updates to Google Play services, rebooting, reinstalling all updates, and re-entering all trusted locations. I have not gone that far yet. If the problem has healed itself, I'm all for it.

therealasd

Jul 5, 2015
Visit site
And this morning it doesn't work again. It has to be something to do with how my location is being reported. Somewhere it must be getting crossed up because it works everywhere else. And the reboot after adding it back didn't help either. I really don't want to go through the runaround of resetting the whole thing like I described above.

UPDATE: I performed the Play services reset anyway, to no avail. This one location still fails to initiate the Smart Lock trusted location. I have no explanation and can't seem to find anything online anywhere.

Last edited:

thunderup

Dec 21, 2011
Visit site
I've been messing around with my smartlock location settings the last few days and have come to the conclusion it has a mind of its own. I removed all my locations and added them back and it would work fine after a reboot, but if I left one of the locations and came back the phone wouldn't bypass the lock screen...unless I rebooted again. Then it worked as it should for about a day. Now it's back to not locking my phone at all, no matter where I am. Also, my 2 locations, home and work, would not work correctly if I just used the addresses from Maps. I would have to drop a pin at each location to get it to work right. Not a big deal, but still annoying. I give up...

therealasd

Jul 5, 2015
Visit site
It actually stayed working again at this one location until I rebooted the phone, then poof, the same location stopped working. Every single other one; my house, my car's bluetooth, my sister's place, all of them work except for my office. I'm wondering if this isn't somehow related to the Bluetooth shutoff problem that seems to have been introduced with the February security patch.

Will have to see.

therealasd

Jul 5, 2015
Visit site
Got the March security patch and so far, the Smart Lock trusted places seem to be working again. Here's to hoping it was just a bug introduced in the Feb patch and removed with March.

thunderup

Dec 21, 2011
Visit site
Got the March security patch and so far, the Smart Lock trusted places seem to be working again. Here's to hoping it was just a bug introduced in the Feb patch and removed with March.
Same here. It's been working without issue for me since I installed the update. Only time will tell if it's fixed for good, but it's very promising so far.

milehigherik

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site

I don't have time to go through and read all of the responses to your question yet. However, I found a fix for this issue by clearing the cache on Google Play services. Under settings-apps-find Google Play services click on it and clear the cache. This immediately solved my problem.

thunderup

Dec 21, 2011
Visit site
Looks like I spoke too soon. It was working fine yesterday after the update. Got to work this morning and it's no longer bypassing my lock screen. I tried clearing cache from Google Play Services as the poster above suggested with no change.

therealasd

Jul 5, 2015
Visit site
Mine is still working.....keeping my fingers crossed.

I had gone as far as uninstalling all updates to Play services, clearing cache, and then redownloading all updates, which basically reset damn near everything related to it. It didn't work before the March patch.

Really holding some hope for this. Trusted places isn't a flawless system to begin with, so I can live with one or two hiccups here and there, but when it's clockwork failing all the time, it's a problem.

therealasd

Jul 5, 2015
Visit site
Triple post?!!

Update: it appears my trusted locations will work fine and then abruptly stop, usually when I leave a trusted place or change, such as from my office to the Bluetooth in my car. It usually occurs after a day or three, not immediately.
Once it does happen, it seems to fail permanently until I reboot. A reboot restores trusted places functionality until the next fault occurs.

Odd. The march patch DID improve it bc prior to it trusted places were completely inconsistent.