Play Store Movies

awilisch

Jul 21, 2011
Visit site
ok I like to think I'm fairly intelligent, but I will admit that I am a tad confused about the Google Play Store's movie offerings.

I decided I wanted to buy a movie from the Play Store to test my Chromecast (whenever it arrives), so I went on the hunt for HD movies. I'm doing this from my MBP and from my Note 8 tablet.

First I came across King Arthur which I thought about buying but it was unclear on my tablet whether it was HD or not, just said I can buy it for $7.99. So I went onto my laptop to see if more options were available but when I looked all I saw was I can rent it for $2.99, not even a purchase option.

So I went spelunking for something else and came to The Avengers. On my laptop it says I can buy it for $14.99 (doesn't say SD or HD, just that I can buy it). So I jump onto my tablet and look it up only to see two options, buy SD version for $14.99, or the HD version for $19.99.

So now completely confused i go looking for something else and come to Star Trek. On my tablet I can rent it for $2.99 or buy it for $9.99 (no info on resolution). So jumping back to the laptop i look it up and low and behold...I can rent it for $2.99...no purchase option.

So can someone shed any light on this rather confusing and annoying Play Store? It seems very inconsistent and more than a little confusing. I really want to like Google Play store and wouldn't mind buying from them but I like knowing what I'm getting.

Thanks in advance.
-Aric

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
This is actually somewhat common and is typically due to licencing on the content provider's side, and some videos are restricted to mobile devices. I am confused as to why there would be mobile options that are not available in desktop mode. Have you tried putting one of those, for example purchase option of star trek, into your wish list and then trying to access it that way via laptop? The only other thing that jumps out is that you're using more than one OS and it could be different options per OS, but I can't think of why that would happen.

awilisch

Jul 21, 2011
Visit site
Yeah I thought about that. I put all of them in my wishlist on my tablet and then visited them each on my laptop to verify that they were there. The only thing I haven't done yet is to actually buy one and see if anything changes (mainly because the only real HD option I've found is Avengers and I don't feel like spending $15 for a test).

Guess I can understand restricting certain movies based on one thing or another, but you would think the restriction would be on the mobile side and everything would show up on the desktop side of things.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Guess I can understand restricting certain movies based on one thing or another, but you would think the restriction would be on the mobile side and everything would show up on the desktop side of things.

Yeah, that's the part that is confusing and makes me wonder if it's an OS restriction or something else.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kenamac