Please clarify "unlocking" for a newb

asdf12321

Mar 5, 2012
Visit site
Hello all.
I have read that one of the steps to root an android phone is to "unlock" (sometime reffered to as "unlock bootloader") which will erase your data and reset your phone to factory defaults.
This is NOT the same as what's called subsidy unlocking, carrier unlock or SIM unlock, which is a process so that you can use SIM cards from other carriers, correct?

Thanks!

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Correct. Unlocking of the device's bootloader is so you can do things like flash a custom recovery used to flash ROM's and kernels. Also so you can flash a factory image "stock OS" from Google or OEM back on the device "known as restoring to stock" in many cases.

Most of the time you are correct, when unlocking the bootloader/device everything is wiped or erased on the device.

cyanogen-man

Feb 1, 2012
Visit site
True in locked boot loaders is basically turning the se purity off so you can run custom roms reset your fonts custom boot loader all kinds of stuff but the sim unlock can simply be done by a code on your key pad from at&t which unlocks the use of different sim cards potentially making this phone a world phone for over seas travel with GSM providers or t mobile I hope I helped
Sent from my Desire HD using Android Central Forums

ciniob

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
I may be wrong here but I believe that if you unlock a Verizon I device, you can not return to Verizon with that device. So something to consider is why you want to unlock the device.

Most of the world is GSM. In that Verizon uses CDMA, you really aren't doing yourself a favor to unlock a Verizon device. However, if you have, say a T-Mobile device (GSM), then yes, you can unlock the device to use overseas and then return home and continue using the device.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Android Central Forums

yodatom10

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
I may be wrong here but I believe that if you unlock a Verizon I device, you can not return to Verizon with that device. So something to consider is why you want to unlock the device.

Most of the world is GSM. In that Verizon uses CDMA, you really aren't doing yourself a favor to unlock a Verizon device. However, if you have, say a T-Mobile device (GSM), then yes, you can unlock the device to use overseas and then return home and continue using the device.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Android Central Forums

It all depends on how well you can cover up the unlocked boot loader on the nexus its easy. On other phones it can be more of a challenge

BTW your confusing unlocked sim vs bootloader. Sim lets you use different networks. The bootloader let's you flash unofficial files and makes android really fun.

Sent from my Jelly bean powered Galaxy Nexus