Please help! Phone rings even when set on silent?

Donnie Gullion

Jan 20, 2016
Visit site
Please help! Phone rings even when set on silent.

S4 Now rings though it's set on silent. I've had it set to not ring--just vibrate the whole time I've had the phone and it worked that way perfectly. Nothing I know of has changed, settings indicate it won't ring, but it does (but not for everyone for some reason). I have not set up special ring patterns for contacts but 2 or 3 vibrate patterns maybe so that's not it. I don't even think a new app has been added. I set my wife's phone to silent does so as it should. I set my phone settings the same way and I get ringtones more than half the time.

I noticed this after I changed the batteries with my wife's phone, but can't imagine what that would have to do with it. I've taken the battery out and reinstalled it and that didn't help--not that I thought it would.

Please help if you have an idea about this as it is a pain at work and in meetings.
Thanks!

UPDATE: I put my original battery back in my phone (thinking this a waste of time) and it works perfectly. (And silent works as it should with my wife's phone and her original battery. Can someone explain this?

Last edited:

extraclass

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
Not sure if this is true but I read somewhere that if your phone is on silent it will ring if someone calls you twice within 5 minutes! This is so someone can get in touch with you in an emergency! Like I say, I am not sure this is true but it may be why your phone is ringing even when on silent!

itguyjax8430

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
Re: Please help! Phone rings even when set on silent.

S4 Now rings though it's set on silent. I've had it set to not ring--just vibrate the whole time I've had the phone and it worked that way perfectly. Nothing I know of has changed, settings indicate it won't ring, but it does (but not for everyone for some reason). I have not set up special ring patterns for contacts but 2 or 3 vibrate patterns maybe so that's not it. I don't even think a new app has been added. I set my wife's phone to silent does so as it should. I set my phone settings the same way and I get ringtones more than half the time.

I noticed this after I changed the batteries with my wife's phone, but can't imagine what that would have to do with it. I've taken the battery out and reinstalled it and that didn't help--not that I thought it would.

Please help if you have an idea about this as it is a pain at work and in meetings.
Thanks!

UPDATE: I put my original battery back in my phone (thinking this a waste of time) and it works perfectly. (And silent works as it should with my wife's phone and her original battery. Can someone explain this?

Sounds a little strange.