Please Read: A warning about Task Managers

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
Fellow Droiders: I have seen one too many posts related to problems resulting from the use of task managers. I have updated the stickied/closed FAQ with the following information, but wanted to loop everyone in for feedback on what was written. If you disagree with anything I've written, or if anything is technically inaccurate, please let me know. Otherwise, this info will be added to the other device FAQ's. Thanks! Cory

A Warning About 3rd Party Task Managers:

Q: What is a task manager?

A: Task managers typically provide details about running programs and services on your Android device. These programs are called "Task Managers" because they also provide the ability to "Kill" and/or "Terminate" processes and services via the click of a button. In theory this sounds like a good idea, as programs running within Android typically do not include an "exit" or "close" feature. For resource management reasons, users typically turn to these applications as a way of controlling these applications manually.

Q: Why should I NOT use a task manager on Android:

A: For various reasons, task managers are known to cause a variety of problems. Critical services, processes, and applications are often unknowingly terminated, causing undesired behavior. The forums are filled with complaints of "program a" or "program b" not working properly, and half the time it's due to a task manager.

Before you post a question regarding a problem you're currently having with an application or other odd software related behavior, please ask yourself "Am I using a 3rd party task manager?" If the answer is yes, please try uninstalling first, and the try to reproduce your problem.

simp_10

Nov 7, 2009
Visit site
I agree. I uninstalled my Task Killer near the end of November. I have not had any of the issues I had while using it (required battery pulls, force closes, etc.) It simply works on its own.

prometheus

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
I think reliance on task managers is from a Blackberry mindset where memory leaks were common. Or, from the concern over the relatively poor battery performance. Either way, it's a misplaced concern as I don't think task killers are very useful for either memory management or battery optimization.

mclarryjr

Retired Moderator
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
Coming from years of BB I needed to use a task manager for a few months. I deleted a few weeks ago and I have not seen a change in performance so I don't think there is any need for it on the Droid

Zorro1

Oct 22, 2009
Visit site
I really appreciated the heads up the day or two after getting my Droid. So many folks had called it a must have...but then I read the stern warning and decided to pass. The high D's...the early adopters, the rooters and hackers and impatient ones are the ones who have many troubles...and I'm grateful to them for showing the rest of us what not to do! I have enough trouble without creating even more.

nox

Retired Super Moderator
Jan 15, 2010
www.AndroidCentral.com
Same here. Coming from a blackberry background, I also downloaded a task manager thinking it was needed.

Read these forums and just about everyone agreed not to install one, so I uninstalled, and now I’m still perfectly fine without the issues I had before (lock ups, sluggish).

They aren’t completely useless but for the most part, you don’t need it

Marine One#AC

Nov 19, 2009
Visit site
I was initially using the free advanced task killer. I found once I stopped using it my battery life increased. Once I deleted the advanced task killer app, my battery life increased again!
I have Task Panel installed but dont really use it for anything. It may soon get the boot as well...

Last edited:

Charmed Juan

Dec 19, 2009
Visit site
Task Killer

When I got my Droid, the Verizon Wireless sales person installed Advanced Task Killer it on my phone right there so I was using it frequently. I learned not to use it on Beyondpod because that did cause problems in that program. I have uninstalled it now but am still wondering what's running in the background, what resources are being taken by programs I may have opened up days ago.

prometheus

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
When I got my Droid, the Verizon Wireless sales person installed Advanced Task Killer it on my phone right there so I was using it frequently. I learned not to use it on Beyondpod because that did cause problems in that program. I have uninstalled it now but am still wondering what's running in the background, what resources are being taken by programs I may have opened up days ago.

Wow, that's pretty presumptive for the Verizon dude to actually install an app. I know he meant well, but....

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
I really appreciate everyone's feedback. It sounds like the FAQ can remain as is.

Personally, I wish every program had an exit option. There are certain apps that I just don't want to stay open after I'm through with them.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
Personally, I wish every program had an exit option. There are certain apps that I just don't want to stay open after I'm through with them.

Ditto! This especially after everyone knows that this is complaint number one of Windows Mobile going back more a decade or more.

prometheus

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
Why do you suppose there is no simple"exit" button for apps? Blackberry didn't have this either. I'm not from any type of programing background. Can anyone who is a programer or developer comment on why it is that apps just don't seem to close easily.

milesmcever

Nov 21, 2009
Visit site
I have to agree my phone has always ran better without a task manager besides if i really want to know what top programs are running on my phone i just go to "better terminal" and run "top" great linux command but all in all i just use this for information.