Pocket Lint and the Fold 3. Cause for concern?

Blues Fan

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site
This is a big concern with me. Even with a case on it your phone still gets lint on it from daily use and being in your pocket. With the phone not being dust resistant is lint causing any issues when getting into speaker grills or the hinge which is common to get lint in the speaker and port areas of phones.

A customer at my shop has a z Fold 3 and apparently debris or lint or something got into the hinge and it quite doesn't open all the way. IbreakUfix told him to wait awhile and move it back and forth and eventually the debris shoudl work loose instead of paying to have it fixed.

bandofbrothers2112

Trusted Member
May 30, 2016
Visit site
Even though Samsung hasn't given it a dust rating I've not yet read posts where dust has got into it.

Personally I think Samsung may have done this to deter people from taking it to the beach etc because if sand did get into it then major issues could ensue.

I carry my Fold 3 in a vertical holster with belt clip and carabiner clip as I prefer it this way and I'm aware dust can get into any phone wdtger it's been given a rating or not.

It's a resistance rating not a dust proof rating on phones the same as the water rating does not make it waterproof.

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
This is a big concern with me. Even with a case on it your phone still gets lint on it from daily use and being in your pocket. With the phone not being dust resistant is lint causing any issues when getting into speaker grills or the hinge which is common to get lint in the speaker and port areas of phones.

A customer at my shop has a z Fold 3 and apparently debris or lint or something got into the hinge and it quite doesn't open all the way. IbreakUfix told him to wait awhile and move it back and forth and eventually the debris shoudl work loose instead of paying to have it fixed.

I thoroughly clean my left front phone pockets on all my pants, I only have to do it once, one at a time before I wear them, and they stay extremely clean... my phones come out clean with no built up lint or dirt anywhere. I also wash them with the pockets out. Sounds a little extreme, but I also have a Z Flip 3 which I would like to last as long as possible ;)

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site

Lint ? The phone not that fragile lol
I had lint and some build up with no issues.

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
I use my fold just like I used my note 20, note 10, note 9, the list goes on. I don't feel like I have to baby this phone like some think you have to.

As someone has said, you have to decide what you want, do you want the fold Factor or do you want the better camera. For a lot of people once they get their hands on a fold the camera does not become a prime focus anymore. So to answer your question on which phone to get you have to ask yourself this question and you're the only one that can answer it, do you want a better camera or do you want a folding phone? If the camera is important to you then the fold probably isn't for you.

FACTagent

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
I usually have it in a pouch when pocketing it, but I have carried it without one and not had any issues. I also frequently blow off any dust or particles from the surfaces, so they don't have a chance of getting in the hinge (with an air can at home, just me elsewhere). No issues so far since receiving it 8/25.

Talderon

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
I pocket mine and treat it like any other phone. I don't "baby" it and so far, absolutely no issues anywhere with anything.

mlblack16

Apr 29, 2016
Visit site
Back in the day, when phones were neither water or dustproof, I had the HTC Hero (on Sprint). That damn thing allowed pocket dust to leak in behind the display. That drove me so crazy that I eventually opened it up to clean the dust out and then use some additional sealant to try and prevent that from happening again.

But display technology is different, and I don't think this is even possible on this phone. As long as I can't see the dust internally, and it doesn't impede function, I no longer care.

Hell of it is, I carried that HTC Hero in my pocket, that I obsessively cleaned out, and in an Oakley pouch, and STILL got dust under the display.

Talderon

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
Back in the day, when phones were neither water or dustproof, I had the HTC Hero (on Sprint). That damn thing allowed pocket dust to leak in behind the display. That drove me so crazy that I eventually opened it up to clean the dust out and then use some additional sealant to try and prevent that from happening again.

But display technology is different, and I don't think this is even possible on this phone. As long as I can't see the dust internally, and it doesn't impede function, I no longer care.

Hell of it is, I carried that HTC Hero in my pocket, that I obsessively cleaned out, and in an Oakley pouch, and STILL got dust under the display.

OMG, I remember those days... :(

You almost get PTSD from that back in the day.

As I stated, I just pocket it and go. I have not had any issues with anything getting into the phone at all. You can tell how well it is doing when you take the case off and see how much "lint" and whatnot that has collected in the case itself and not the phone. :D

Blues Fan

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site
Jerry Rig did a video on the Fold 3 and sprinkled dirt all over it and it still worked. When he tore it apart I didn't see dirt inside the phone.