poisoned apps

kristi

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
How serious is it if u downloaded one and is there a way to tell if u have?? I had a chess game one once a while back but I Uninstalled it and I never paid any attention to what company it was from. I was under the impression that the market is supposed to be fairly safe from downloading apps with ANY bad stuf.....

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
All the apps were published by Myournet to the Android Market. The apps use the rageagainstthecage exploit to root your phone (or tablet), which opens the door for the app to do anything with your data -- like send it to a remote server. Of course with root it can do much worse as well.
Basically any private information on your phone including passwords. I would go into the market and search "Chess" and see if you recognize the one you installed. If you see it... then good. Check the developers name to see what it is. All of the corrupted apps have been pulled from the market. Let us know what happens.

kristi

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
Ok. Good idea doing the obvious and checking to see if the chess game I had tried was there and it is. (Aart bik) not myournet so pheeew thanks for the advice there.

Since I'm at it though I have another quick ?. I have AVG installed and I believe it was symantic that was finding the corrupt apps. Do u know if symantic gave a warning right away ? AVG tells me on every download if its clean and I like that but do u think it would have caught these apps? And if not is that because those poisoned apps were that sophisticated? Or AVG is not advanced enough to catch it?

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
Anti virus programs only catch anything that looks suspicious or has been added to the list of definitions for viruses to check for. Chances are that it was not aware of the virus to protect you from it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bcweir