Positives about Gingerbread

michikade#AC

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
I see loads of threads about issues with 2.3.3 and was wondering who all has updated and seen vast improvements and no major issues?

What has improved, in your experience, over froyo? (battery life, device speed, responsiveness, etc)

What quick fixes have you found for the minor issues? (for example, the predictive text - personally I don't use the stock keyboard so it was a non-issue for me)

Captain Spongey

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
I see loads of threads about issues with 2.3.3 and was wondering who all has updated and seen vast improvements and no major issues?

What has improved, in your experience, over froyo? (battery life, device speed, responsiveness, etc)

What quick fixes have you found for the minor issues? (for example, the predictive text - personally I don't use the stock keyboard so it was a non-issue for me)

Captain Spongey

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
So far, no major problems. Only the charging thing with my usb car charger. Just using an old charger and charges fine. Haven't been home to try the wifi yet.

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site

Keyboard problem wasn't an issue when I installed as I was using Swype.

USB wasn't an issue as I was using new drivers and always have USB debugging enable plus the OEM wall charger worked fine. It might have something to do with hardware revisions. LG definitely made some change on the USB driver/controller for this device but it doesn't show up the same way for everyone.

device speed is slower for the first day due to one-time maintenance, but after that it is as fast or faster than ZVD.

You get around 6-8MB more space in /data

Quadrant scores go up.

The notification bar looks like crap for a few days but some get used to it and it doesn't bother them anymore, but you can get themes if you root. Everything is darker, but that is just Gingerbread.

There seems to be a bug with the time calculation for battery usage. Affects statistics but not operations.

Battery life is a little better, but that will depend on your usage.

The app manager has more details.

Reactions: apinkel

B1Trash

Sep 22, 2011
Visit site
I like the carrot that pops up when I need to edit text. I have the hardest time trying to peck out the exact letter to change... now you can "scroll" around with your finger on the screen and the cursor will move. It's pretty slick. However, I'd rather have the ability to listen to phone calls through the headphone out jack, which got lost in the upgrade to 2.3.

tmeader

Nov 23, 2010
Visit site
yes but all positives are mute if you CANT CHARGE YOUR PHONE!!!!!!!!!

As I posted in the other thread, this seemed to fix all charging issues for someone who was completely unable to charge his phone after the update via any other method.

Sprint Community: Sprint Store Solved Charging Issue For...

After researching this method more, it seems like people have even fixed sync problems through doing this, so perhaps it could fix the Gmail sync issues too someone else was having.

nealoc187

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
i do like the dark theme of gingerbread. i don't like that my text notifications are now a black text notification on a black notification bar background.... that doesn't work very well. nice.

i thought it was neat that the camera now has a gps tagging option.

other than those two things, i am thoroughly unhappy with it. it has degraded many aspects of the phone. i am having a lot of issues, but not as many as some people are having (for instance the sd card unmounting issue is one i have not had, yet... knock on wood).

michikade#AC

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
I didn't consider notifications to be backed out on the black background, as I use ChompSMS (a remnant of my blackberry days using crunchSMS) so I have custom SMS icons. So I would say that's a possible quick fix for that issue.

I personally haven't had issues. Probably because I have things in place that fix the issues with stock things not working right. For me, Gingerbread is much faster and the battery life is significantly better than froyo was.

LisaSarao

Apr 6, 2011
Visit site
I am also a fan of Gingerbread. I haven't had the charging issues, and my SD card has unmounted a handful of times. I just either re-mounted it through the menu, or popped it out and popped it back in. I like the new color scheme, but I know I'm probably in the minority on that one!

My phone was plugged in to a charger when it updated ... not sure if that alleviated the charging issue or what. I did have to reinstall the drivers on my laptop to get it to recognize USB, but that was easy and worked instantly.