Post OTA Factory Reset

Benjamin_NYC

Banned
May 15, 2014
Visit site
I've read that the Google backup from Lollipop to Lollipop is more robust than KitKat to Lollipop. If that's the case, do you recommend things in this order:

1. Download and install the OTA.
2. Log into Lollipop, let Google restore from KitKat backup.
3. THEN perform Factory Reset
4. Restore from recent Lollipop backup.

Worth the extra step, or just factory reset immediately post upgrade?

How do I factory reset right after installing the upgrade?

Thanks.

Posted via the Android Central App

IAmSixNine

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
I got my OTA this morning on my Nexus 5. Update went through ok but afterwards i tried to wipe Cache partition. I do that on all my devices after any sort of OS update, and its stuck at wiping cache. Been on that screen for 15 minutes now..

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
I'd suggest a reset after the update has completed. If you haven't already done so, it'll be done through the settings.

System settings > Backup & reset > Back up my data (toggle on). Once the data is finished being backed-up, then choose the Factory reset option in the same menu.

Let us know how things go :).

Know that your texts/call logs won't be saved, so perform a separate backup of those.

jj14x

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
I suspect you already know this, but just in case - the google restore process isn't going to restore your app data for non-google apps. All it does it set up your homescreen(s) the same way (app icons), and will install the apps from the play store (and your wifi settings etc). But for apps that don't store their data/settings on the cloud, it will just restore the app - not the app data.

For example: If you have tasker set up now with some profiles that you created. When google restores the app, your profiles will not be there. If you want those profiles, you will need to go into tasker now, export the data from the app (using app's settings), and back that xml up elsewhere. Then, after installing lollipop and installing tasker, you will need to restore that xml manually.

For apps like google drive, play music, dropbox etc, since all the data is stored on the cloud, once you log in, everything is restored.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
I got my OTA this morning on my Nexus 5. Update went through ok but afterwards i tried to wipe Cache partition. I do that on all my devices after any sort of OS update, and its stuck at wiping cache. Been on that screen for 15 minutes now..
Force a reboot by holding power. If that doesn't get you booted, then perform a factory reset through recovery and try booting again.

IAmSixNine

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
So to follow up, i pretty much did what srkmagnus suggested but i was ahead of him. LOL
When my device got stuck wiping cache. I held the power button down for 20 seconds to force a restart, the unit then tried to restart and the 4 spinning dots appeared. However i stepped out of the office for 30 minutes and when i came back it was still doing it. So power button for 20 more seconds, put it into recovery and attempted to hard reset. However it got stuck on that giving me errors of unable to mount cache partition. BUT this time i accidently touched the screen and it went to the next process. Which was successful in wiping the device. Odd but oh well.
Rebooted it and now its "restoring" which is better then being stuck wiping cache but not as good since i now have to do more work to set up my apps and stuff..

EDIT:
I SO wish i would have seen this http://forums.androidcentral.com/nexus-5-rooting-roms-hacks/352008-guide-nexus-5-recovery.html prior to me hard resetting.
On my other devices, HTC One M7, M8, Note 3, wiping cache takes seconds, not 5 to 10 minutes like they mention here.
So when my device was taking to long it was normal and i got impatient. Damn, so it probably didnt get stuck and i didnt need to hard reset it. LOL Oh well.

So for now its back to working again.

Last edited:

tonyr6

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
I suspect you already know this, but just in case - the google restore process isn't going to restore your app data for non-google apps. All it does it set up your homescreen(s) the same way (app icons), and will install the apps from the play store (and your wifi settings etc). But for apps that don't store their data/settings on the cloud, it will just restore the app - not the app data.
I know I learned that the hard way when I did a factory reset yesterday. Kind of useless that it does not restore app data for third party apps what is the point that it restores only the layout. Apple iCloud restores app data for all apps.

Benjamin_NYC

Banned
May 15, 2014
Visit site
I know I learned that the hard way when I did a factory reset yesterday. Kind of useless that it does not restore app data for third party apps what is the point that it restores only the layout. Apple iCloud restores app data for all apps.

Apple has much tighter control of the apps in its store. Do you want that?

jj14x

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
This is the one thing that I must agree - Apple does better. And Google can/should learn from this. Google's recent ads talk about their amazing backups (androidify figures smashing their phone knowing that it will get restored onto the new phone - with the tiny barely legible disclaimer at the end stating that this is only for some apps).

Just back up app-data for all installed apps to Google drive that don't have cloud backup - it isn't that complicated! Titanium backup has been doing this for years.
The only issue could be if the app itself isn't compatible with a new OS that Google releases, and in that case, just don't restore if not possible.

pbc

Nov 3, 2013
Visit site
I'd suggest a reset after the update has completed. If you haven't already done so, it'll be done through the settings.

System settings > Backup & reset > Back up my data (toggle on). Once the data is finished being backed-up, then choose the Factory reset option in the same menu.

Let us know how things go :).

Know that your texts/call logs won't be saved, so perform a separate backup of those.

How does one know when the data is finished backing up? There doesn't appear to be a status bar/% anywhere that I can see unless I missed it..

rickms80

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
Yes.... the Nexus 5 and sister phone LG G2 take a realllly long time to format partitions. I also found out the same way like you did. Never kill your phone while it's formatting the cache partition or any really. Mine sometimes takes anywhere from 5 to 10 mins to clear the cache partition. Doing a factory reset has taken closer to 30.

BTW I think started recovery again and started the cache wipe and waited..... and when it finished it resolved this issue i caused by killing the phone before it completed....

mkhilario

Sep 27, 2012
Visit site
My factory reset was stuck on "erasing" for over 40 minutes. Then I had to re-boot from recovery mode to get it to finish. Now all is fast and smooth with no issues so far.

Don't freak out if it's stuck on erasing for a long time. Wait it out. Set aside a couple of hours and keep it plugged in.

Benjamin_NYC

Banned
May 15, 2014
Visit site
My factory reset was stuck on "erasing" for over 40 minutes. Then I had to re-boot from recovery mode to get it to finish. Now all is fast and smooth with no issues so far.

Don't freak out if it's stuck on erasing for a long time. Wait it out. Set aside a couple of hours and keep it plugged in.

First you said you stopped waiting after 49 minutes and forced reset.

Then you said people should wait hours.

Which do you advocate?

mkhilario

Sep 27, 2012
Visit site
I meant set aside a couple of hours for the whole process. I did factory reset from the settings menu. It went on for about 20 minutes then I got the dead android with the red triangle. I entered recovery by holding down power and pressing volume up. I selected reboot now and the phone was stuck on erasing for almost 40 minutes before finishing and rebooting. After reboot, it took almost an hour to restore apps automatically via Lollipop set up. Everything working perfectly now. The phone was actually working fine afaik after the OTA, I just thought it would be a good idea to do a full factory reset.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wale