Potential buyer - no VZW!!!

RBEmerson

Mar 11, 2014
Visit site
My S5 is showing its age. It's time for a replacement. The S7 seems to fill the bill. But... although I'm a VZW customer and need their coverage when taveling, I'm p***ed about the way they make tinkering with the bootloader impossible. Rooting is a must, to allow using Titanium.

Here's my question, how do I find a new (not refurbed, etc.) S7 that VZW hasn't messed with, but will function on VZW's CDMA service? And, of course, keep the cost down as much as is reasonable for a new S7.

anon(9708869)

Banned
Nov 3, 2015
Visit site
My S5 is showing its age. It's time for a replacement. The S7 seems to fill the bill. But... although I'm a VZW customer and need their coverage when taveling, I'm p***ed about the way they make tinkering with the bootloader impossible. Rooting is a must, to allow using Titanium.

Here's my question, how do I find a new (not refurbed, etc.) S7 that VZW hasn't messed with, but will function on VZW's CDMA service? And, of course, keep the cost down as much as is reasonable for a new S7.

Swappa.com

tgp

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2011
Visit site

Given your requirements, the US unlocked S7 is your only option. It goes for $569.99 at B&H right now. I have the Edge version (SM-G935U) of this phone which I use on Verizon. It works perfectly.

Best Buy has it for the same price, plus the gold version is available there. If there is a store near you, you might be able to walk in and get one, if they have it in stock. B&H has free shipping, and no sales tax outside NY state.

anon(9708869)

Banned
Nov 3, 2015
Visit site
Given your requirements, the US unlocked S7 is your only option. It goes for $569.99 at B&H right now. I have the Edge version (SM-G935U) of this phone which I use on Verizon. It works perfectly.

Best Buy has it for the same price, plus the gold version is available there. If there is a store near you, you might be able to walk in and get one, if they have it in stock. B&H has free shipping, and no sales tax outside NY state.

Don't buy full price at B and H. You can get a perfectly good Mint Condition or New unactivated phone on Swappa for far less for the unlocked S7. I know because I just bought one not too long ago. You can get a Mint Condition for $425-$475 and a new resale on there for less than what you'd pay at B and H. Beware though, Samsung sucks at updates for the unlocked version. I am recommending a Pixel to people who ask about phones.

tgp

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2011
Visit site
Don't buy full price at B and H. You can get a perfectly good Mint Condition or New unactivated phone on Swappa for far less for the unlocked S7.

Yes you are correct. It is possible to find one cheaper than B&H or Best Buy. It depends on how comfortable to OP is buying from someplace other than a "real" vendor. He had specifically mentioned "New" which is why I suggested authorized vendors. The sole sealed box listing on Swappa (currently) is almost the same price.