Power button repair *please help*

Kevin Hutcheson

Mar 2, 2013
Visit site
Hey, new guy here.

So about 2 weeks ago my EVO 4g LTE's power button started acting crazy. I would have to push it really really hard to make it turn on. Sadly it has gotten to where now it just doesn't turn the phone on at all. I have since downloaded an app from the market to use the volume keys to turn it on from sleep mode, but cannot turn it off without being able to turn it back on (the app only supports waking the phone up). I've taken it apart, cleaned it and still no luck. No matter how hard I press it, it just won't turn on. The button also no longer gives that slight "click" when pressing it.

I ordered a new button, took it apart, replaced the button and still nothing. It still doesn't even click. I'm wondering what the part underneath the power button is called. Would that be the power button flex cable. I'm speaking of the part the button actually touches to produce the power on/power off effect and the mild click it gives when pressed.

I bought the phone used and when I took it apart, it appeared to be tampered with at this same location. It looked like this section had a black coating on it where the power button would touch but had been rubbed/scrapped off, showing copper.

If anyone knows what this part is please let me know so I can order/replace it.

Thanks in advance

Tammy Niles

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
I'm having the same problem with my on/off button. It is very hard to press to turn the phone off and on. Any help please. If the button doesn't work, is there another way to turn on the phone? Thanks for any help.

justlovejoy

Mar 11, 2010
Visit site
I'm having the same problem with my on/off button. It is very hard to press to turn the phone off and on. Any help please. If the button doesn't work, is there another way to turn on the phone? Thanks for any help.

Get ButtonRemapper Idk if in play store or not but i used it to make camera button power button. problem solved, who actually uses the camera button often enough to miss it?

jocarog

Jul 23, 2013
Visit site

Install a custom rom if you are rooted, meanbean has an option to make the home button long press to bring the Advanced Power Menu (APM), on Evilution you hold the arrow by the settings icon in the notification drop down, Arc reactor kernel with sweep gestures let's you swipe while the screen on from back to menu/recent and brings APM...

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 4

BlackHawkA4

Drop the Bag
Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
And some people said I was hard on my power button. Lol.

HTC quality has gone down.

My first evo I had I dropped once and the volume rocker broke.

I really want to get out of sprint and get a new phone but refuse to pay $180 etf.

Posted via Android Central App

jwwiff

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site
I just repaired my power button - it took a drop to the top edge and smashed the switch underneath. The fix is pretty straight forward. Look for the flex tape / strip on ebay or other places. Should be from $4 - $12 depending on where and shipping. Also look for youtube videos for how to take the LTE apart and get at the flex strip. You will have to remove both top and bottom cover, the inner cover to the main board, the outer frame, and disconnect the flex tapes at the upper right side of the main board. The flex strip is held down by two screws. The flex strip actually flips over the edge of the circuit board. Only issue I had is now the ear speaker doesn't work. Bluetooth to earbud and speakerphone both work, but not ear speaker.