Probably no N8 for me!

dlgus

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
So, I checked with VZ...and I CAN have a N8....IF I give them the 500.00 I still owe on my S7E.
Then, after I pay it off, I have to TRADE IT IN to get the N8 'discount'.
Kinda sucks, but I am not made of money, so......

UPDATE: I left VZ...ATT will pay off my phone, and put me in the N8. Doesn't look like I get anything other than the phone, as they tell me the deal
and freebies are only through Samsung....

Last edited:

dannyar11

May 24, 2016
Visit site
Why aren't you people just buying a used iphone 5 on ebay for $70 and send that for the $425 credit and sell your s7e on your own. EVERYONE SHOULD BE DOING THIS INSTEAD OF TRADING A DEVICE YOU CAN GET 300-400 FOR ON YOUR OWN.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
You could get the discount directly at the Samsung site and get the 24 mo with no interest (or pay it off outright). You'll still need to pay off the S7E though, but you can pay it off in the same installments you already have, no need to pay the 500 in full to trade it in.

Katrina White1

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site
Why aren't you people just buying a used iphone 5 on ebay for $70 and send that for the $425 credit and sell your s7e on your own. EVERYONE SHOULD BE DOING THIS INSTEAD OF TRADING A DEVICE YOU CAN GET 300-400 FOR ON YOUR OWN.

It's still a loss if he owes more than he could sell it for. I suspect that's the case with a few people. If you hung on to your N7 longer than feasible, you owe a good bit on the replacement device.

Thelt2000x

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
This is the exact situation I am in. I still owe $528 on my S7E. I called Verizon and they said they would credit me $107 to my account but would still have to pay $421 to pre order. I thought we would be able to at the maximum pay to the 50% mark. Not 100% pretty disappointing

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
This is the exact situation I am in. I still owe $528 on my S7E. I called Verizon and they said they would credit me $107 to my account but would still have to pay $421 to pre order. I thought we would be able to at the maximum pay to the 50% mark. Not 100% pretty disappointing

Unless you're a part of a trade-in program or lease (like JOD), there's no reason to expect that from a purchased device. You're getting the 107 as a trade-in value for the S7 Edge you're turning in at Verizon. You could get a much better price if you sell it online, TBH. Samsung still offers a better trade-in appraisal and more if you're an ex-Note 7 user, but it's still a better deal if you're trading in an old device.

I just got one for my sister and she's trading in an old S5. Final price for the Note 8 in taxable California is shy of 550. Not a bad deal for the latest and greatest.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

You buy a car...a year later you want to trade it in for a new one just straight trade... No dealer is going to let you do that without putting in more money

Nakrohtap

Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
I'm not positive. But, I don't think it works that way. It's "up to $425", meaning probably for Note5 or something similar. If you buy a phone for $70, I wouldn't imagine you'd get more than $100.
I could be wrong, though. Seems like Samsung would've figured out this little loophole when they came up with this idea.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I'm not positive. But, I don't think it works that way. It's "up to $425", meaning probably for Note5 or something similar. If you buy a phone for $70, I wouldn't imagine you'd get more than $100.
I could be wrong, though. Seems like Samsung would've figured out this little loophole when they came up with this idea.

You can get the s5 for $70ish on ebay and Samsung will take it for $425 trade in credit for previous note 5 owners

Katrina White1

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site
But unless I'm misunderstanding something, he still has to pay off the S7Edge. So he'll end up paying the price of the N8 minus 425 assuming he gets the max, and the S7E. For those people, it doesn't work. Again, unless I'm missing something. Yes, you get a N8 at a fabulous price, but you're paying for that AND the replacement device.

If you're upside down like a car, you can sell, but not for what is still owed.Not as much of a loss, but still a loss.

Help me if I'm wrong about this, cuz I can't see it any other way at the moment.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
But unless I'm misunderstanding something, he still has to pay off the S7Edge. So he'll end up paying the price of the N8 minus 425 assuming he gets the max, and the S7E. For those people, it doesn't work. Again, unless I'm missing something. Yes, you get a N8 at a fabulous price, but you're paying for that AND the replacement device.

If you're upside down like a car, you can sell, but not for what is still owed.Not as much of a loss, but still a loss.

Help me if I'm wrong about this, cuz I can't see it any other way at the moment.

Those where the terms when the s7 was bought. If you didn't agree then don't buy it.
Stick with the s7 edge for another year and get the note 9.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site

For Note 7 users, it's any eligible trade-in and you still get 425 off. If not a previous Note 7 user, then you get different amounts depending on the device you're trading in.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site

At that point you'd have to decide where you'd get better money for the device: sell it elsewhere or accept the 425 bucks off from Samsung. As for the money owed, yeah, you still have to pay that off... the device is NOT YOURS until you do. With a car it's the same... if you trade it in it will be appraised for X amount. If you still owe more than X, then you're selling it at a loss. If X is more than what you owe, you're getting some money out of it. Same thing with phones. If you're purchasing it and you're making payments and you still haven't paid it off, then you still owe money even if you want to trade it in (unless you're in a trade-in program that specifically says that once you pay 50% of the device you can trade it in and not have to pay the remaining balance).

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
For Note 7 users, it's any eligible trade-in and you still get 425 off. If not a previous Note 7 user, then you get different amounts depending on the device you're trading in.
From Samsung that number is 375 for not a note 7 owner. From Verizon you get 480 off through bill credits, note 7 or not.

Thelt2000x

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
You buy a car...a year later you want to trade it in for a new one just straight trade... No dealer is going to let you do that without putting in more money

I guess I am on an island on this line of thinking but I have been able to upgrade every year using the Samsung annual upgrade program. I thought the S7E fell under this. If I had a note 7 today I would be able to upgrade without paying anything other than the taxes on the note 8. Just as I have been able to do for the last 4 years. Someone who bought a s8 will be paying LESS than I will be to upgrade for reasons that were out of my control. Does this make sense to anyone else besides me because I feel like NO ONE agrees with me. At the end of the day I will probably just pay it off. I understand where the company's are coming from but if I bought my S7E before 9 Sept of last year I would be able to upgrade with no fees. The total recall wasn't even announced at that point. But because I got it in Nov I can't. They should be able to look at that and say OK he got this phone because of the recall. I would be more than happy to pay to the 50% point like I have done EVERY OTHER YEAR.

P.S I understand that I should have done my research before hand and saw that this phone was no longer available for this program. Just venting my frustration. That's all.

Nakrohtap

Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
I guess I'm out of the running to benefit from this, unfortunately. Too many stipulations. They should have given a universal discount to everyone, instead of adding all of these strings to it.
I have a JOD with an S8 and probably owe $600 still on it I'm sure. They only go for like $450 on Swappa, would need to buy another phone like a G4 for $120 or so (and hope it's it good condition), pay off the JOD, blah blah blah. Too much headache. Thanks for nothing, Samsung. I would have been fine if no one got any additional discount as opposed to this gesture,which doesn't apply to everyone.

MizWylie

Q&A Team
Jun 25, 2015
Visit site
Are you a previous Note7 owner? That might defray some of the pain if you are!

dannyar11

May 24, 2016
Visit site
I guess I'm out of the running to benefit from this, unfortunately. Too many stipulations. They should have given a universal discount to everyone, instead of adding all of these strings to it.
I have a JOD with an S8 and probably owe $600 still on it I'm sure. They only go for like $450 on Swappa, would need to buy another phone like a G4 for $120 or so (and hope it's it good condition), pay off the JOD, blah blah blah. Too much headache. Thanks for nothing, Samsung. I would have been fine if no one got any additional discount as opposed to this gesture,which doesn't apply to everyone.

If you are worried about what you owe then you don't have JOD you have Jump! 2 different things. Jump! is an EIP and JOD is a lease where you can upgrade once a month now and what you owe is irrelevant. People keep confusing this.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robbyworkman1995