Problem Sending Images (AT&T). S-L-O-W transmission.

bobinyelm

Jan 14, 2020
Visit site
My wife and I both have Samsung Galaxy S5 phones. In fact, this is my third (First had a bad mic jack, second got REALLY slow, third is great) and we've had them for several years combined.

We live in a bad cell reception area, so first we got an AT&T MiniCell that works with our router. A $200 solution to a dead spot we apparently live in. That works fine for voice calls.

Text message work OK, but sending images with text can take 5-10 minutes for ONE image. Sometimes text (no images) go qiuickly, sometimes they take minutes, and sometimes the texts go "gray" and say "Could not send text" Try again?

I enabled WiFi Calling (200mb/sec Wifi connection) and unplugged the Mini Cell Tower. Slightly better, but only slightly.

Image go quickly on What's APP and Instant Messenger, and of course when attached to emails.

Is there a reason that texts are SO S-L-O-W compared to the other ways of sending texts?

Is there a setting we may have wrong?

Thanks,
Bob

bobinyelm

Jan 14, 2020
Visit site
I have no idea what an APN is but I will try to figure out what it is and how to set it from your link.

I just click "Messages" and type and hit send. What the phone does inside is a mystery. I was a physicist, an attorney and Air Force/airline pilot in my former life before I retired, but am a complete software i-d-i-o-t (it won't accept the word spelled because I guess it's a hate-speech word?) I am afraid. My "so last century" education puts me at a huge disadvantage today I know. I am sure every 5 year old can recite APN tables for fun, but I can see I need to do some studying if I want to use my phone properly. I know the APN link mentions "unlocked phones," and mine is a "Locked" ATT Phone. Maybe I need to unlock it to be able to get an APN assigned or selected?

My WiFi speed is 100-150-mb/sec upload and about 20mb/sec upload on my laptop, and using my S5 Galaxy it showed 203mb/sec download (accessing Speedtest.net via Chrome on my Samsung S5), and a Ping of 17ms, but did not "do" or show an upload speed test like when I use a computer to access Speedtest.net. Maybe my phone internet upload connection is too slow for using the AT&T MiniCell or for using WiFi calling?

If I walk 200ft to the road where I get a good Cell signal the phone works fine, of course.

I don't know what Android Messages are. I do know Instant messenger and Whats App seems to send images almost instantly, but most people send me straight text messages (OI guess they are text messages as they just appear with an icon of an envelope in a yellow box that says "Messages."

The actual announcement when it gives up trying to send a text is "Failed to Send MMS," BTW, and asks "Try Again?" I just had my phone whistle to me (my Text Notification) after it tried to send one picture with 16 words when after a full 30 minutes it gave up trying to send the text. Sometimes, though, it amazes me even a text with apicture wil;l send in only 15-20 seconds. No apparent rhythm or reason I can see.

I used an iPhone before switching to my Android phone, and it worked fine with the MiniCell tower we got from AT&T, but I guess iPhones are altogether different (when I switched to Android none of the texts I got from iPhones users ever reached me for weeks because their phones were sending iMessage format and not text messages).

Sorry for my ignorance-

Last edited:

methodman89

Feb 5, 2018
Visit site
OP, my personal experience has been with my old S5 till today is like yours, but only when sending to apple phones. The reason afaik, is Apple treats all messages as mms. There are a few threads using the search function with similar stories.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samyblaze