Protect Hinge, or Not Worry?

werkx

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
I am still in market for a case, balancing between bulk and protection. Should I look for one with hinge protection? They do add more bulk.

This is my first fold and since the f5 is not dust proof, should I worry? What are your experience so far?

Hghlndr

Mar 18, 2013
Visit site
Hey there! Congrats on your ownership.... great device, IMHO.
I've owned a Fold since #2, and for what it's worth, I've owned "full" coverage cases, and aside from the bulk, they were fine. Eventually, I stopped worrying about the device and enjoyed minimalist cases.
I've used Samsung cases on them, and now am enjoying their kick stand case with the added Spen snap on from the last iteration, as it fits!
Dropped, splashed, sat on, used outside in all weather situations, and it's in my back pocket amongst lint when moving about.
No problems as of yet with the 5, and none with the past devices either.
If you were a Note user, and used the Spen often, get Samsung's Spen case, no bulk to speak of, and you have a stylus on hand!
Good luck... peace

werkx

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
Hey there! Congrats on your ownership.... great device, IMHO.
I've owned a Fold since #2, and for what it's worth, I've owned "full" coverage cases, and aside from the bulk, they were fine. Eventually, I stopped worrying about the device and enjoyed minimalist cases.
I've used Samsung cases on them, and now am enjoying their kick stand case with the added Spen snap on from the last iteration, as it fits!
Dropped, splashed, sat on, used outside in all weather situations, and it's in my back pocket amongst lint when moving about.
No problems as of yet with the 5, and none with the past devices either.
If you were a Note user, and used the Spen often, get Samsung's Spen case, no bulk to speak of, and you have a stylus on hand!
Good luck... peace

This makes me so happy to hear. Thank you. The f5 arrived yesterday and I am enamored. The Samsung Spen Case is now in the shopping cart. I'm sure there will be more. LOL

Now off to checking out all the tips and hints, and set up advices.

Reactions: Hghlndr

AndroidFanboy8

Feb 24, 2018
Visit site
I got a Spigen case with hinge protection BUT was troublesome opening the fold on occasion where it would NOT glide into the case so hated that. Switched back to the Samsung official case using also a leather holster.

Reactions: werkx

werkx

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
I got a Spigen case with hinge protection BUT was troublesome opening the fold on occasion where it would NOT glide into the case so hated that. Switched back to the Samsung official case using also a leather holster

Thanks for that. I saw the mechanics of how the hinges work with those and definitely see it as potential.

Be brave and go bare.. Actually I'm using a dbrand leather skin and that's it. Gives it some gripping power

Not brave enough yet as this is my first foldable so haven't had much experience with it outside of the house. LOL

Need to look into Samsung Care or similar. Maybe go monthly payment until I feel brave enough.

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
Not brave enough yet as this is my first foldable so haven't had much experience with it outside of the house. LOL

Need to look into Samsung Care or similar. Maybe go monthly payment until I feel brave enough.

I personally won't own a foldable without the Samsung care. The inside screen is $600 to replace...I haven't researched the fold 5 but I know on the fold 4 if the hinge needs replaced the screen has to be replaced also, as that is what the repair center told me.

Reactions: BEaRebel and werkx

werkx

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
I personally won't own a foldable without the Samsung care. The inside screen is $600 to replace...I haven't researched the fold 5 but I know on the fold 4 if the hinge needs replaced the screen has to be replaced also, as that is what the repair center told me.
Hmm.. Food for thought. I take good care of my devices and have not needed insurance since the Note II.

AndroidFanboy8

Feb 24, 2018
Visit site
BUILD quality after a few gens have much 8mpr9ved durability so really no need for Samsung care...truly! If you take care of it....it'll be fine.

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
BUILD quality after a few gens have much 8mpr9ved durability so really no need for Samsung care...truly! If you take care of it....it'll be fine.
Well that's your choice. If the hinge messes up for whatever reason and needs replaced. You're replacing the inside screen also and that's $600 alone plus hinge cost. I've talked to several repair shops and they all said the inside screen is where the issues are if there are any.

That's a bold statement you made. I take excellent care of my phone's, they usually look new when I trade them in, but the screen replacement cost and the fact that the inside screen is the most sensitive spot on the phone I'll choose coverage.

Reactions: AndroidFanboy8

werkx

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, I signed up for samsung care. Being it my first foldable, even though I take good care of my devices, there are a few unknown so more potential for accidental missteps. Plus it's pretty darn expensive. I still catch myself sometime with the thought of holding a $1700 phone in one hand, that's when my grip tightens and I bring up the other hand to secure it more.

Reactions: J Dubbs

AndroidFanboy8

Feb 24, 2018
Visit site
luckily I'm using my 4th fold and flip...,never had any issues...the build quality is amazing. however I did drop a zflip4 smack on the hinge on tiled flooring and broke my device. It rendered the device couldn't close and top half the screen went black. That zflip4 was about 3 months old. I didn't horrifically scream because I dropped a flip but rather I just broke a 1800$ device!😭

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: BEaRebel and werkx

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
luckily I'm using my 4th fold and flip...,never had any issues...the build quality is amazing. however I did drop a zflip4 4 smack on the hinge on tiled flooring and broke my device. that zflip4 was about 3 months old. I didn't horrifically scream because I dropped a flip but rather I just broke a 1800$ device!
Nobody gets up in the morning and says today sounds like a good day to drop my phone. I'm always careful with my phone's also, but accidents happen.

Last edited:

AndroidFanboy8

Feb 24, 2018
Visit site
I never ever damage or break expensive flagship devices as I re-sell. I typically get new devices as they come out. that zflip4 was just 3mnths old. omg that was a very expensive drop!

Last edited:
  • Wow

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
I never ever damage or break expensive flagship devices as I re-sell. 3mnths old. omg that was a very expensive drop!
Well most can't buy new phones every three months, for me I don't want to buy phones that often. I know you can sell to cover good chunk of new phone cost, but it's something I don't want to do.

Last edited:

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
These phones are a big investment , get full protection and insurance , I have the Samsung case with Spen and it exposes the hinge which been using since launch it has micro scratches when u look at certain lighting

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
These phones are a big investment , get full protection and insurance , I have the Samsung case with Spen and it exposes the hinge which been using since launch it has micro scratches when u look at certain lighting
I'm being more brave, or probably dumber, but all I'm using is Spigen screen protector and Dbrand leather skin. I do have Samsung care+ though.

I've thought about the Samsung slim case with Spen, but it has sticky tape for the front part. That style has never worked well after the fold 3 work the smaller bezels.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I'm being more brave, or probably dumber, but all I'm using is Spigen screen protector and Dbrand leather skin. I do have Samsung care+ though.

I've thought about the Samsung slim case with Spen, but it has sticky tape for the front part. That style has never worked well after the fold 3 work the smaller bezels.
Agree didn't work on my Fold 3/4 and now 5 I want look into another case with better front snap on but would lose the Spen holder that's now flush

Reactions: ironass

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andej