Proven method to remove very minor scratch?

CarleL

Sep 22, 2022
Visit site
My screen protector was gathering dust around the edges, and I've managed to go 20 years without scratching a phone, so I thought I'd take it off. Wake up this morning to a minor scratch (no idea how it got there).

The internet if full of suggestions like toothpaste and such, I just wondered if anyone has had any luck here?

It's a Pixel 6a, which I believe has Gorilla Glass 3.

Thank you :)

bkdodger2

Jun 3, 2020
Visit site
I would just go with another screen protector. Something like a white dome that uses the adhesive on installation. That should cover up the minor scratch and protect your screen going forward...

CarleL

Sep 22, 2022
Visit site
They don't seem to do 6a. Was hoping to actually fix it though. Do none of these baking soda, toothpaste etc. fixes actually work?

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I would think any sort of abrasive would only make the scratches worse. Any sort of fix would require filing in the scratch (similar to a polish), and I'm not sure such a solution exists other than like mentioned above with the new screen protector adhesive.

me just saying

Jul 18, 2015
Visit site
I normally do not use screen protectors but when I accidently dropped some change into the pocket with my phone and a dime scratched the screen, I placed a screen protector on it and it completely hid the scratch.

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
Very light, which is why I was hoping there might be a fix.

It's the exact same shape as the crack in Pond's wall in Doctor Who. Not sure if that helps...

Anything you do to try and remove a micro scratch will just remove the oleophobic coating, and make the scratch even more visible. Another screen protector or just living with it is probably your only options. They do have a liquid screen protector you coat the screen with... but I heard mostly negatives about it.

CarleL

Sep 22, 2022
Visit site
Anything you do to try and remove a micro scratch will just remove the oleophobic coating, and make the scratch even more visible. Another screen protector or just living with it is probably your only options. They do have a liquid screen protector you coat the screen with... but I heard mostly negatives about it.

Screen protector now on, and it's still very visible. Guess it's not a light a scratch as I thought :(

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
Screen protector now on, and it's still very visible. Guess it's not a light a scratch as I thought :(

I'm sorry to hear that :( I know it's frustrating having to stare at a scratch on what was a pristine screen. Usually the adhesive for the screen protector will fill in the scratch and hide it. That's why I also mentioned the liquid screen protector, it's supposed to fill in small scratches and nicks. Maybe call a couple phone repair shops and see if they have anything we're not aware of here?

I somehow got a very light scratch on my pixel 3XL at some point... it was only visible under bright reflective lighting at the right angle, but still bugged me a little since it was the first screen I've ever scratched :-\

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fluffy McFluffy