Proximity sensor not releasing

NealJ777

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
I've noticed my G6 is having problems with the proximity sensor during a phone call. When I put the phone up to my ear during a call and then remove the phone from my ear (such as at the end of a call) the screen does not turn back on. I need to wake the phone before I can access the phone and then press the END CALL button.

It appears that my proximity sensor is not "releasing." I just wrote a quick profile in Tasker and it recognizes the proximity sensor is covered but does not recognize it being uncovered.

Here's the sensor after a fresh boot of the phone:

Capture+_2017-10-24-16-10-27.jpg

Here's the sensor after I wave my hand over it:

Capture+_2017-10-24-16-04-39.jpg

I contacted LG and of course they want me to do an FDR. I Googled this issue and others are also having this issue, so it's software related and I don't think an FDR is really the solution.

Any ideas?

Thank you :)

NealJ777

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
No. I do not. I've also owned this phone for over three months and never had an issue prior to today.

Doing an FDR seems like the easy way out but that shouldn't be required. This must be a software issue that was probably introduced via a recent update. I did contact LG, but I can't get past Tier I support because they have to follow a script and that script tells them to ask me to do an FDR. The next step on their script after doing an FDR is to schedule a repair.

There are others experiencing similar issues because when I Google it, I find other posts about this issue, but no solution.

When I talked to LG Support, it was via their online chat. When I have the time available, I will try calling them and see if I can get further up the ladder.

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Please try an app such as this one: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.inkwired.droidinfo

Scroll left to the "Sensors" tab, then down and look for (in my case; yours will no doubt be different) TMx490x PROX. It will say something like "Bring hand closer than 5.0 cm" - perform that test. Does it work?

If not, reboot your phone and, prior to loading any other app, try Droid Info again. Does it work?

You might also test it in Safe Mode:

Turn on safe mode
  1. With the screen on, press and hold the Power key.
  2. In the options menu that displays, press and hold Power off.
  3. When 'Restart in Safe mode' displays, tap OK to restart in Safe mode.
  4. Upon restart, device displays 'Safe mode' at bottom of screen.

Restart again to exit safe mode.

If it works for a period of time and then stops working, I would suspect a bad app is grabbing the sensor and not letting it go. Games - especially non-mainstream ones - are always suspect.

NealJ777

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
I did test it with a testing app (see screenshots in my original post).

When you boot the phone fresh, the sensor is normal. When I pass my hand in front of the sensor, it registers 0.0cm. After a few minutes (hard to determine length of time) it does release. I am testing via a Tasker profile set to notify me when the proximity sensor is tripped and then again when it is released.

I do not have any games installed on my phone. All my apps are legit, non "cheapy [insert name of foreign country here]" apps. The apps are released directly by the company (i.e. the official "Twitter" app and not an app that can be used to access Twitter).

I will give safe mode a try and report back.

NealJ777

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
It does not work in Safe Mode. The sensor exhibits the same behavior.

ETA:

I tested this by placing a phone call and then holding the earpiece to my ear. Then I removed the phone from next to my ear and the phone remained "blank" and did not return to the "call in progress" screen.

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
If it doesn't work in safe mode, then you almost certainly have a hardware failure or possibly an OS error caused by a corrupt update.

"After a few minutes (hard to determine length of time) it does release."

So, you move your hand away from the sensor and it takes substantially longer than a split second to release? I'll vote for a hardware (specifically, sensor) failure.

You could try recalibrating the sensor; I haven't found directions specific for the G6, but this might get you there: https://www.androidauthority.com/lg-g5-problems-fixes-690462/