PSA: I just discovered you can't downgrade to older, faster official ROMs!

anon(10181084)

Mar 2, 2017
Visit site
So I earlier posted about my idea to speed up my Tab by downgrading to the official Nougat. Well, turns out it won't accept the old bootloader that comes with Nougat!!! This is super annoying. Now I am redownloading the Pie ROM (I messed with custom ROMs earlier but had to ditch those due to them causing profuse overheating). I guess that unless someone on XDA releases a debloated version of the official Pie ROM, I'm pretty much stuck with whatever performance not gives me... I still love this tablet, but the slow bogging down that Samsung is doing update by update is honestly quite annoying. It seems to be limited to my Tab S3 because the S8 I recently bought brand new (via Straight Talk for $300) is running BLAZING FAST on OneUI Pie. For now I will have to suffice with using a lightweight launcher, because it seems that the stock launcher is causing a HUGE performance hit, even back on Oreo it did that (on Nougat there were no real performance issues).

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Each update makes the firmware larger, giving it more to do, so it appears to run slower. Debloating apps you aren't using doesn't change that.

If it's just OneUI that's running slow, try Nova Launcher.

anon(10181084)

Mar 2, 2017
Visit site
I was using Nova launcher before Pie and it did fix the performance somewhat. Will try Lean Launcher this time. It seems that so far it is the launcher causing some of the slowdowns. I think OneUI will probably work decently with a light launcher. I just really hope that system UI never crashes on me while I'm working with my file manager (X-Plore) like it did on Oreo...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
karim174