Purdue Univ research identifying battery killing wakelock bugs

jean15paul

Trusted Member
Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
I'm not sure if this is the right forum, but I came across this interesting article on one of the engineering sites I read.

Researchers in the Purdue University department of Electrical and Computer Engineering have developed a method to identify bugs with Android apps that prevent the phone from properly going to sleep. This isn't malware or viruses, but legit apps that are just poorly coded, resulting in excessive battery drain.

They used Android for their research, presumably because of Android's open-ness. This is definitely a good thing, especially if Google can incorporate Purdue's methods into their guidelines and app submission checks.

The full article is here: ‘No-Sleep Energy Bugs’ Drain Smartphone Batteries | Eng-Tips Whitepaper Library . A few quotes from the article are below:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The researchers have completed the first systematic study of the no-sleep bugs and have proposed a method for automatically detecting them.

?We?ve had anecdotal evidence concerning these no-sleep energy bugs, but there has not been any systematic study of them until now,? Midkiff said.

The researchers studied 187 Android applications that were found to contain Android?s explicit power control APIs, called ?wakelocks.? Of the 187 apps, 42 were found to contain errors ? or bugs ? in their wakelock code. Findings showed the new tool accurately detected all 12 previously known instances of no-sleep energy bugs and found 30 new bugs in the apps.

To detect bugs in the applications, the researchers modified a tool called a compiler, which translates code written in computer languages into the binary code that computers understand. The tool they developed adds new functionality to the compiler so that it can determine where no-sleep bugs might exist.

?The tool analyzes the binary code and automatically and accurately detects the presence of the no-sleep bugs,? Midkiff said.

droidmyme

Apr 7, 2012
Visit site
Re: Purdue Univ research identifying battery killing wakelock bug

Wow, this is awesome. Hopefully there will be more research done on Android so it will be more "leak tight."

42 out of 187 apps, that's pretty high!

pazzo02

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site

With this modified compiler, hopefully someone will write an app that can be used by the general public. Better yet, maybe Google will integrate this into a future version of Android.

Hey, I can dream, can't I?

jean15paul

Trusted Member
Jun 17, 2011
Visit site

With this modified compiler, hopefully someone will write an app that can be used by the general public. Better yet, maybe Google will integrate this into a future version of Android.

Hey, I can dream, can't I?

Apparently you and I are sharing the same dream.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stargazer