Quality of Thunderbolt Touchscreen

zero neck

The Ever-Living
Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
I was wondering if anybody knows if the screen on the thunderbolt is the same as on the Mytouch4g or a similar device, and if anybody knows what the touchscreen's responsiveness and accuracy will be like.

The screens are listed on htc.com as:

thunderbolt - 4.3? WVGA TFT capacitive touch screen
mytouch4g - 3.8 inch TFT-LCD touch-sensitive screen with 480 X 800 WVGA resolution
G2 - 3.7-inch WVGA 480x 800 resolution, capacitive touchpanel
Evo - 4.3-inch WVGA resolution Capacitive Multi-touch Screen
Incredible - 3.7-inch touch-sensitive screen with 480 X 800 WVGA resolution

blizz419

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
i know the Thunderbolts screen is Super LCD (SLCD) besides what you listed not sure of the difference but i def dont see it being a downgrade in anyway from those other phones

Green_Laser

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
I haven't heard or seen Bob from his wirefly videos complain. Neither the CES videos either. We will have to wait for more detailed reviews.

lazymac

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
I've used the Inspire, and the screen's very responsive, and as fluid as Android can be. The HTC rep I talked with told me it's nearly identical in hardware as the TBolt. I would consider the screen's sensitivity a non-issue.

Chris Kerrigan

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
I think I'm more concerned about the visual differences between SAMOLED and SLCD, but then again I might just be overreacting. The only HTC device I've ever known to have touch issues was the N1.

zero neck

The Ever-Living
Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for getting back on this.
I haven't tried out the inspire but i should, since the 4.3 inch screen is probably similar on that device to the tbolt.
The reason i was asking is, I have an incredible, and the touch-responsiveness is ok (pretty good), but i find the typing is pretty bad, which i guess is partly due to the narrow width of the incredible, and maybe the size of my thumbs or something.
And of course the appearance of the slcd wont be as slick as samoled but, while it would be nice, i can deal with that, (but when a gs2 hits verizon it will be reallly tempting)

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
I think I'm more concerned about the visual differences between SAMOLED and SLCD, but then again I might just be overreacting. The only HTC device I've ever known to have touch issues was the N1.

SLCDs are a great in between. I had the Nexus S and a MyTouch4G, and the screen on the MT4G was as close to the NS as you can get with an LCD. Sure, the blacks aren't as good and the colors aren't as bright, but everything about it is fantastic. The fact that the TB uses an SLCD is a great plus, because it should be great.

As far as touch goes; the MT4G's screen was as good as the iPhone's. Hands down. Sensitivity was great, responsiveness was great, and it just had a fluidity that a lot of other handsets lack. I would expect the TB to be the same.

Reactions: zero neck

mlpjunior

Sep 18, 2010
Visit site
The iPhone's is the most responsive screen I've ever used, so that's a good sign if the MT4G's is even close to it.

I personally think the Fascinate's screen was excellent as well, as far as touch sensitivity goes. There's something to be said about having the pixels so close to the actual surface of the glass--really makes it easy to tap accurately from all angles. IMO, the LCD of the OG Droid can't compare in that department.

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
The iPhone's is the most responsive screen I've ever used, so that's a good sign if the MT4G's is even close to it.

I personally think the Fascinate's screen was excellent as well, as far as touch sensitivity goes. There's something to be said about having the pixels so close to the actual surface of the glass--really makes it easy to tap accurately from all angles. IMO, the LCD of the OG Droid can't compare in that department.

Its a manufacturing thing. The SAMOLED displays are built differently so there is no air gap between the digitizer and the screen. Its all one layer, so they can push it right up to the glass. No other manufacturer has done this yet, but others are working on it. Apple, for one, glues the digitizer and screen to the glass to help eliminate the air gap. HTC doesn't quite use that yet, but they've done a lot of work on it.

Here's an article on the SAMOLED display: Super AMOLED Display on Galaxy S Phone | Samsung AMOLED Screen Article

Reactions: mlpjunior

lazymac

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
AMOLED screens get burn in FAST, however. Much faster than the LCD screens do. Go take a look at any Samsung AMOLED demo screen at a store. It's a common issue with the AMOLED's. In fact, I'm glad HTC is not using it on the TBolt, because that would rule it out for me.

brackett5

Apr 2, 2010
Visit site
I know It is going to be hard giong from an AMOLED to a LCD for me. However performance and product is important to me as well which is why I am going withthe HTC TB.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csample32