Question about Kernel/Radios...

anon(147178)

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Right now I'm on stock ICS and I've been thinking about flashing AOKP. Do I also need to flash updated radios/kernels? I've flashed custom roms before but have never messed with radios or kernels. I'm not quire sure if this is required or the benefits/harms that go along with doing this.

Thanks for the help!!

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
A custom rom will usually come with a kernel--you can still flash your own, but sometimes rom devs like throwing their fave kernel devs a bone by including a kernel.

For radios, they are almost always separate, so you can flash a radio package found in zero neck's threads.

For more info, check out the radio and kernel sections of my Don't Panic guide, found in my signature.

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the info!

Do I need to flash a new radio before flashing a ROM or does it matter?

I, personally, don't think it matters. However, it's usually customary to flash the radios first.

However, I've flashed plenty of radios on top of a rom (meaning, essentially, after the rom), without any ill effects.

anon(147178)

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Ok, I'm looking at zero neck's thread and there are radios listed with and without a bootloader. What is the difference? Which one should I use?

Thanks again!

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Ok, I'm looking at zero neck's thread and there are radios listed with and without a bootloader. What is the difference? Which one should I use?

Thanks again!

Use the 4.0.4 package featuring the bootloader. It's put together by a guy named DroidTh3ory, and it's very straight forward. Just flash it and it does the rest ;).

It's always good practice that the radio version (i.e. 4.0.4) matches the bootloader version (i.e. 4.0.4). That being said, I don't what effect it has if they don't match up, if any.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scrap