Question about refurbished devices

ZeroRilix

Jan 22, 2011
Visit site
Ok, here's the deal. I can't pick up the Inspire this Sunday. (Really f-in' sucks!:mad:) I'll prolly be able to get this bad boy off contract this March and would order it from AT&T's online store. My question is, what do I look for to make sure it is not a refurb unit? I want to be sure I'm getting a brand new unused device. If I'm paying in the neighborhood of $500, I want a brand new device. Also, I see other posts saying VZW uses stickers on their devices indicating they are refubs. Does anyone know if AT&T does the same kind of sticker id letting them know if it's refurb?

RUSH

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
The best way would be to check the refurbished status of the phone. If it's check or unchecked. (You need to check the phone's Reverse Logistics Support. I don't know how it's done on VZW phones, but on Sprint phones it's ##786#.

You could either Google it, or contact a VZW representative.

Best of luck.

ZeroRilix

Jan 22, 2011
Visit site
The best way would be to check the refurbished status of the phone. If it's check or unchecked. (You need to check the phone's Reverse Logistics Support. I don't know how it's done on VZW phones, but on Sprint phones it's ##786#.

You could either Google it, or contact a VZW representative.

Best of luck.

Thanks for the reply, but I'm actually asking about ATT. I was using VZW as an example. lol No harm, no foul. Thanx anyway.:cool::cool:

zhelf

Zombie
Trusted Member
Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
first and foremost is the packaging if the box is brand new and sealed you should be fine then examine hardware for minor wear that would indicate refurb but i cant imagine there would be too many refurbs by march. if there are i wouldnt buy the device.

why are you so worried they would give you a refurb and not new?

Reactions: ZeroRilix

ZeroRilix

Jan 22, 2011
Visit site
first and foremost is the packaging if the box is brand new and sealed you should be fine then examine hardware for minor wear that would indicate refurb but i cant imagine there would be too many refurbs by march. if there are i wouldnt buy the device.

why are you so worried they would give you a refurb and not new?

I agree, probably not gonna have that many refurbs available by then. They actually are up front about that on their website with seperate listings for new and refurb. There is a possibility the shipping department could mix things up, even unintentionally. I just wanted to know what to look for so if it did happen I can send it back and get the "brand new" device I paid for. Thanks for the reply, the info is what I was looking for.:):cool:

Ryan Roland

Oct 20, 2010
Visit site
AT&T doesn't hide that fact that a phone is new or refurb. when you look for the phone online it will clearly state refurb or not say anything which means new. If you buy from a walmart, bestbuy, radioshack, costco, mall kart I can't garuantee that they didn't sell a phone and have it returned and then try to resell that used phone to you. but if you order online it will be clear. Especially off contract. I dont think they offer refurbs off contract. usually they are $50 bucks cheaper on a two year contract when they are refurbs. When you receive a refurb phone from at&t its in a different box than new and says refurb on it. You would probably be better off buying at an actual at&t store so you can inspect the box and make sure its NEVER been opened. not opened and resealed with a second sticker. Good luck but be reassured at&t is not trying to pull anything on you.

ZeroRilix

Jan 22, 2011
Visit site
AT&T doesn't hide that fact that a phone is new or refurb. when you look for the phone online it will clearly state refurb or not say anything which means new. If you buy from a walmart, bestbuy, radioshack, costco, mall kart I can't garuantee that they didn't sell a phone and have it returned and then try to resell that used phone to you. but if you order online it will be clear. Especially off contract. I dont think they offer refurbs off contract. usually they are $50 bucks cheaper on a two year contract when they are refurbs. When you receive a refurb phone from at&t its in a different box than new and says refurb on it. You would probably be better off buying at an actual at&t store so you can inspect the box and make sure its NEVER been opened. not opened and resealed with a second sticker. Good luck but be reassured at&t is not trying to pull anything on you.

Thanx man, you really answered my question.

jpb07

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Just to chip in one more "tell" which i know applied to the Impression and I'm guessing is how AT&T does business. If you look at where the IMEI number/device label, it will have a new label plastered over the old one if it has gone back to AT&T and refurbished. We ran into this when my wife's keyboard died.

ZeroRilix

Jan 22, 2011
Visit site
Just to chip in one more "tell" which i know applied to the Impression and I'm guessing is how AT&T does business. If you look at where the IMEI number/device label, it will have a new label plastered over the old one if it has gone back to AT&T and refurbished. We ran into this when my wife's keyboard died.

hey, 'preciate that piece of info! That will definitely help, thanks!:cool::):cool:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Intellect works