Question about Verizon's throttling/prioritizing new udp in rural areas

waller2005

Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
I have been on the gudp forever and currently use 40-50 gb in a normal month. I have foxfi so I get free hotspot but also seems that in the near future that option could be gone, or I would at least have to stick to an older phone.

Here's my question, multiple reps claim that I will only see the throttling if I am in a highly populated area like a larger city. I live out in the country,no LARGE cities around. Has anyone in rural areas experienced this throttling?

I'm just a little concerned about switching plans, I know my population is significantly less that many users,but I would also think cities have more towers and towers that are designed to carry many more customers. Any insight would be appreciated!

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
I have been on the gudp forever and currently use 40-50 gb in a normal month. I have foxfi so I get free hotspot but also seems that in the near future that option could be gone, or I would at least have to stick to an older phone.

Here's my question, multiple reps claim that I will only see the throttling if I am in a highly populated area like a larger city. I live out in the country,no LARGE cities around. Has anyone in rural areas experienced this throttling?

I'm just a little concerned about switching plans, I know my population is significantly less that many users,but I would also think cities have more towers and towers that are designed to carry many more customers. Any insight would be appreciated!
Will you save money switching plans? How much data do you average a month?

Answering those questions will give you a better idea if switching is a benefit for you. Another thing to throw in the mix is we all know Verizon does not like the grandfathered unlimited plans and I suspect they will still target them and eventually just send out letters shutting them down eventually, of course that's pure speculation on my part.

JoshDunc

Apr 23, 2015
Visit site
Will you save money switching plans? How much data do you average a month?

Answering those questions will give you a better idea if switching is a benefit for you. Another thing to throw in the mix is we all know Verizon does not like the grandfathered unlimited plans and I suspect they will still target them and eventually just send out letters shutting them down eventually, of course that's pure speculation on my part.
He said he averages 40-50GB per month

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Staying out can be an option but just remember they want you off that old unlimited plan so one day they may just force it like they slowly are doing.

This is purely just a theory thing but I think the unlimited plan that is now offered is going to go up in price if people don't swap by a certain time. The only reason I think this is because Verizon calls it introductory and that makes me think they'll change it if people don't snag it now. Basically like a promo deal.

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
Staying out can be an option but just remember they want you off that old unlimited plan so one day they may just force it like they slowly are doing.

This is purely just a theory thing but I think the unlimited plan that is now offered is going to go up in price if people don't swap by a certain time. The only reason I think this is because Verizon calls it introductory and that makes me think they'll change it if people don't snag it now. Basically like a promo deal.
And usually when you get in on a price point they leave you there. I agree

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
On the new plan, you'll get de-prioritized after 22GB in your current billing cycle if you're on a congested tower.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
On the new plan, you'll get de-prioritized after 22GB in your current billing cycle if you're on a congested tower.

Right. For the OP, if he is never on a contested tower then he should get full speeds all the way.

Also remember that the FCC now is a lot less customer oriented. Should Verizon decide to play dirty(not that that would ever happen) and throttle over 22gb regardless of tower load, then there's probably not much protection that the current FCC will enforce.

It also isn't a coincidence that Verizon released this plan under the new administration. It wouldn't pass muster under the old administration due to the FCC requirements on Verizon's 700 MHz lower block C spectrum.

kstoutdog

Sep 8, 2010
Visit site
I live in a very rural area.. I have a line over 22GB and I've not experienced any throttling... the line is a MiFi device too :)

Attachments

• 2033.jpg
    2033.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 92

waller2005

Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
Yes I will save a little money by switching. Maybe $10-$15 per month. We have 5 lines, 1 of which usually goes over its data. If not for that then my current plan would be cheaper but it is what it is.. I have 2 lines that are currently on contract, once they are off that will drop it $40 more. I tried talking to Verizon to get them to credit me for the 2 contract lines. So far they have only offered a 1 time $100 credit...

My biggest concern is the throttling and the mobile hotspot. It's my only source of home internet.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Yes I will save a little money by switching. Maybe $10-$15 per month. We have 5 lines, 1 of which usually goes over its data. If not for that then my current plan would be cheaper but it is what it is.. I have 2 lines that are currently on contract, once they are off that will drop it $40 more. I tried talking to Verizon to get them to credit me for the 2 contract lines. So far they have only offered a 1 time $100 credit...

My biggest concern is the throttling and the mobile hotspot. It's my only source of home internet.

I wouldn't switch to the new plan since it sounds like you might need more than 10gb hotspot

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I've seen this comment a couple times in various threads. Can someone shed light on its meaning? Thanks.

Politics. The new FCC appointed by Trump appears to be more friendly to business rather than consumers.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Politics. The new FCC appointed by Trump appears to be more friendly to business rather than consumers.

It goes both ways though... It isn't a coincidence that Verizon offered the new unlimited data right after Wheeler left. Because wheeler wouldn't let them do the optimization thing due to the lower block C

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bluegarland692