Question for Linux gurus...yes there is a point about android/nexus7

rootbrain

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
I know this is the rooting section, figured here would be the place to find the experts answers I'm searching for.

My question is around Android 4.2 multi-user implementation, and if the way this was incorporated is in line with Open Source linux. How does linux handle multiple users, for example Ubuntu, Red Hat, SuSE or other open linux distros? Is Android 4.2 in line with that, creating new partitions, adding and incrementing 0,1,2,3,4 etc. or is this Googles solution for it's devices? Is Google moving away from a "standard" linux? Will AOSP now deviate from the norm?

Just curious, have used linux but not a sys admin or engineer on the platform so pretty unfamiliar with the nuts and bolts. Just thought it would be interesting to know one way or the other.

TIA.

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
I know this is the rooting section, figured here would be the place to find the experts answers I'm searching for.

My question is around Android 4.2 multi-user implementation, and if the way this was incorporated is in line with Open Source linux. How does linux handle multiple users, for example Ubuntu, Red Hat, SuSE or other open linux distros? Is Android 4.2 in line with that, creating new partitions, adding and incrementing 0,1,2,3,4 etc. or is this Googles solution for it's devices? Is Google moving away from a "standard" linux? Will AOSP now deviate from the norm?

Just curious, have used linux but not a sys admin or engineer on the platform so pretty unfamiliar with the nuts and bolts. Just thought it would be interesting to know one way or the other.

TIA.

I assumed Android was and continues to be its own open source project.. I don't know that it has ever followed "standard" linux or was supposed to. I'm sure there is tons of code in AOSP that doesn't conform to Linux's method, why would it?

Maybe I'm not following the question? lol :)

rootbrain

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
I guess you're probably right, but it seems the multi-user implementation doesn't really conform to the Linux, or any *nix "standard". Not that they have to, but it just almost seems "quick and dirty" to me, and is nothing like any unix I've used. I suppose they have their reasons for doing it they way it's done, but without an "opt out", it appears that in the future we will be herded in this direction.

And with 4.2 being rolled out to phones, that feature, while it may be used by some, will probably be not even necessary on phones. I can see a possible use for tablets, but for phones? C'mon....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Katiebaby3110