Questions about going to FROYO and small phone issues

melissasroja

Nov 13, 2010
Visit site
Ok first keep in mind Ive never rooted. The most Ive done is patched and added an uberkernal to my old Pre. So moving on.

If I want to get FROYO on my new Fascinate am I correct that first I follow the instructions here: http://forum.androidcentral.com/ver...659-guide-all-about-rooting-faqs-how-tos.html to get the thing rooted?

And second I do this: http://forum.androidcentral.com/ver...roms-w-root-new-clockwork-updated-2-15-a.html correct?

Can I do step 2 without doing step 1? Also lets say something goes wrong. How do I get back to stock? And in the very off chance Verizon goes and sends the OTA update lets say tomorrow (lol) then what? I have to do what? Go back to stock and then do the OTA? Will the phone force me to do the OTA and what would happen if the OTA came through before I got the phone back to stock? Also what is the change log for FROYO for the Fascinate? Im sure its been posted but Im sicker than sick and honestly cant find it. I assume Flash and hopefully the new market and ability to move apps to the SD card? Man going back to the old market is a killer!

Ok so that sums up my question with FROYO for now. Now my phone issues which might not be issues at all. My email. It keeps telling me like 0/45 or 0/108 and when I go into my all inbox thing there are no messages there at all. Am I correct that the 45 or 108 or whatever are actually emails that are on my Metrocast server? Im not seeing that for Gmail or Yahoo. Only Metrocast. So I keep thinking I have all these emails waiting but Im guessing thats just not true.

Next one is am I the only one or does the Weather Channel and email tend to bog down? I havent really noticed it in anything else (a bit in market but not terribly bad) but the Weather Channel everytime I go in its either so slow or closes and the email often takes near a minute to delete maybe 5 or 6 emails at once. Very slow. Will any of this clear up with FROYO or is this something else?

Thanks very much for humoring me and answering questions Im sure have already been asked!

Melissa

gunnermike53

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
Ok first keep in mind Ive never rooted. The most Ive done is patched and added an uberkernal to my old Pre. So moving on.

If I want to get FROYO on my new Fascinate am I correct that first I follow the instructions here: http://forum.androidcentral.com/ver...659-guide-all-about-rooting-faqs-how-tos.html to get the thing rooted?

And second I do this: http://forum.androidcentral.com/ver...roms-w-root-new-clockwork-updated-2-15-a.html correct?

Can I do step 2 without doing step 1? Also lets say something goes wrong. How do I get back to stock? And in the very off chance Verizon goes and sends the OTA update lets say tomorrow (lol) then what? I have to do what? Go back to stock and then do the OTA? Will the phone force me to do the OTA and what would happen if the OTA came through before I got the phone back to stock? Also what is the change log for FROYO for the Fascinate? Im sure its been posted but Im sicker than sick and honestly cant find it. I assume Flash and hopefully the new market and ability to move apps to the SD card? Man going back to the old market is a killer!

Ok so that sums up my question with FROYO for now. Now my phone issues which might not be issues at all. My email. It keeps telling me like 0/45 or 0/108 and when I go into my all inbox thing there are no messages there at all. Am I correct that the 45 or 108 or whatever are actually emails that are on my Metrocast server? Im not seeing that for Gmail or Yahoo. Only Metrocast. So I keep thinking I have all these emails waiting but Im guessing thats just not true.

Next one is am I the only one or does the Weather Channel and email tend to bog down? I havent really noticed it in anything else (a bit in market but not terribly bad) but the Weather Channel everytime I go in its either so slow or closes and the email often takes near a minute to delete maybe 5 or 6 emails at once. Very slow. Will any of this clear up with FROYO or is this something else?

Thanks very much for humoring me and answering questions Im sure have already been asked!

Melissa

just do the secind one if you dont care if you loose all your data.

melissasroja

Nov 13, 2010
Visit site
Im confused already which is sad lol. I downloaded the update.zip file to my desktop. DO I unzip that file and then copy the entire unzipped folder over to the SD card? I assume thats what I do but I just want to make sure. Should I format the SD card first and get rid of my music and stuff or can it all stay?

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
Im confused already which is sad lol. I downloaded the update.zip file to my desktop. DO I unzip that file and then copy the entire unzipped folder over to the SD card? I assume thats what I do but I just want to make sure. Should I format the SD card first and get rid of my music and stuff or can it all stay?

no leave your card as is,,,just put the entire zip file on your sdcard , do not unzip it.... make sure you dont put it in any folders , just directly into the card

melissasroja

Nov 13, 2010
Visit site
Ok so heres where Im at. It didnt take 9 mins. Maybe 3? It did what it wanted to do and I got a big green PASS in the first box of Odin with 2:55 under it. The phone shut off and has been off for a minute or two doing nothing. My message box on Odin says:

OSM All threads completed. succeed 1/failed 0

Is it finished? I dont want to unplug it because it said 9 mins and it wasnt 9 mins! lol

pheatton

Mar 30, 2010
Visit site
Yep once it states "OSM All threads completed. succeed 1/failed 0" its done. Pop your battery back in and boot it up.

It takes about 4-5 min to boot the first time.

PJnc284

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
Anyone bored enough to do a video walk-through from start to finish that covers from downloading the drivers and installing odin all the way through first boot? Think that would help a lot of people out who are more visual learners. I'd volunteer but no video camera. :(

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
Standupdad and I are discussing it hope fully have something up this weekend
Anyone bored enough to do a video walk-through from start to finish that covers from downloading the drivers and installing odin all the way through first boot? Think that would help a lot of people out who are more visual learners. I'd volunteer but no video camera. :(

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

melissasroja

Nov 13, 2010
Visit site
I think I have it! Im still in the set-up/log-in process (taking time between nose blows and coughing fits stupid flu) but it seems to be A-OK! Thanks so much for the help/info/not saying "go research all this crap that weve told 500,000 people before you" I really appreciate it!

A video is a wonderful idea. My husband would never even dream of doing something like this without seeing it physically being done. Good thing for me Im the brave one! lol

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
Awesome melissa , glad you are up and running. If you need anything else please feel free to ask.

I love it when women out man their man lol
I think I have it! Im still in the set-up/log-in process (taking time between nose blows and coughing fits stupid flu) but it seems to be A-OK! Thanks so much for the help/info/not saying "go research all this crap that weve told 500,000 people before you" I really appreciate it!

A video is a wonderful idea. My husband would never even dream of doing something like this without seeing it physically being done. Good thing for me Im the brave one! lol

gunnermike53

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site

dont look now but you just flashed an outdated rom!!!!
the machine adrynalyne just droped superclean 2.5!

if you wanna upgrade, just drop the new rom on your sd card and flash it with cwm. you may wanna wipe data and cache seeing as how its a new build.

melissasroja

Nov 13, 2010
Visit site
Oh sure now you tell me! lol

What is the difference between the new superclean and the first one on the list which is the one I used? I used the full one not one of the superclean ones.

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
Ill have this odin flashable in about an hour :)
dont look now but you just flashed an outdated rom!!!!
the machine adrynalyne just droped superclean 2.5!

if you wanna upgrade, just drop the new rom on your sd card and flash it with cwm. you may wanna wipe data and cache seeing as how its a new build.

melissasroja

Nov 13, 2010
Visit site
Wow you guys are fast. I think Ill leave it where Im at for now. Looks like I would have to take off the one I just put on and put one of the superclean ones on yes?

What about the market? Its the same old one still. Can I update that to the new one somehow? ETA: Ignore this. I just closed it and went back in and the "related" button is now there. I use that more than I expected!

papa54

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
ok i have read and re-read about all there is to read on the Samsung Fascinate update.. i as Mellisa would rather go straight to part 2 to update my phone.. one question that was not mentioned in the above post where she successfully got the update done was... how do i get the update.zip to the sd card with or without the battery in the phone ..or else does odim take care of all that..??? waiting like a kid at a candy store.. thanks ahead of time for help..

papa54

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
and hopefully since i am using the same cpu for all the info iwont blow things if cpu cuts me off during mid session..

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
ok i have read and re-read about all there is to read on the Samsung Fascinate update.. i as Mellisa would rather go straight to part 2 to update my phone.. one question that was not mentioned in the above post where she successfully got the update done was... how do i get the update.zip to the sd card with or without the battery in the phone ..or else does odim take care of all that..??? waiting like a kid at a candy store.. thanks ahead of time for help..

the update.zip is for clockwork recovery, its not really necessary but i wanted to cover that so later no one asks me to do it seperate...

that being said. update.zip is put on your card by
plugging the phone in while its on
pulling down notificaton bar
hitting USB connected notice
hitting mount
going to your computer and opening up the sdcard drive (this can be found by going to start then selecting computer)
then from the folder you downloaded update.zip you just copy it and paste it into the sdcard not in any folder,, and thats it

papa54

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
ok and thanks for the quick get back.. should i place the update etc on my lap top so i will have free accesss to you here

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eSudo