questions b4 purchase

liquidmonkey

Apr 11, 2010
Visit site
so, i'm ready to pull the trigger on this mobile but would like to know...

1 - does it play divx and avi files? what other movie formats are supported?
2 - if no to 1 then is there a player that can do it?
3 - can you use a 32gig microSDHC card? are microSD and microSDHC the same?
4 - voice to text?
5 - are the apps stored on the media card?

have read 5 reviews so far and NO ONE has touched on these questions i have so if your an owner, please let us know

and thank you!

quetzalcoatl

Apr 6, 2010
Visit site
I can only answer number 3 for you and they are the same. SDHC and SD are the same format it is just the HC is version 2.0 of it and yes the phone will take a 32gb SDHC card.

oldboots

May 18, 2010
Visit site
so, i'm ready to pull the trigger on this mobile but would like to know...

1 - does it play divx and avi files? what other movie formats are supported?
2 - if no to 1 then is there a player that can do it?
3 - can you use a 32gig microSDHC card? are microSD and microSDHC the same?
4 - voice to text?
5 - are the apps stored on the media card?

have read 5 reviews so far and NO ONE has touched on these questions i have so if your an owner, please let us know

and thank you!

Hi Liquidmonkey,

I am planning on getting the desire in the next couple of weeks, so I can't talk from experience but can tell you what I've learned in my extensive research so far. Having said that, you have probably got your desire by now, but for anyone else pondering these questions:

1. No, though there has been talk of DivX support in an upcoming update.
2. No, but you can convert your files to mp4 whilst you wait for the update
3. I have read somewhere that you can use 32GB cards but it wasn't a reliable source, can a desire owner confirm whether this is possible?
4. Not sure on this one, not something I've been looking at
5. No, as with all android phones, apps are stored on the internal phone memory. This is one of the major drawbacks of the Desire, as the internal memory available for apps (i.e not including all the space used up by the OS and Sense UI) is only around 120MB, which may not be enough if you want loads of apps. However, Google have confirmed that this feature will be addressed in a future android update and many people are optimistic that this will be a feature of 2.2.

Keep your ear close to the ground for news of the GOogle I/O conference being held tomorrow (19th May)!!

Oh and I hope you love your new phone. Only 11 sleeps til I get mine!!

liquidmonkey

Apr 11, 2010
Visit site
thanks for the response!
and yup, my desire was delivered 2 weeks ago and its a really really really great mobile phone!!

took a week to get my head around all the options but its well worth it as there is very little that i CAN'T do with this phone. seriously, it does nearly everything!!

you won't regret buying one......ever.

ps, the apps on internal memory is not really all that bad. i have something like 50 apps and there is lots of space left!

droobilicious

May 25, 2010
Visit site
watch android 2.2 updates videos on google, you will freely be able to move apps between phone and sd memory. I doubt divx will feature, maybe someone will/has done a player though.

I've not had any luck with info about voice to text, its not there by default. Let me know if you find anything on this.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
beauty1