Questions for Nexus One owners

piperp

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
Hi everyone, I have been lurking for a while but decided to finally post. I am another one of those that are waiting for the Nexus One to come to Verizon. I have considered the HTC Incredible but until I get some confirmed specs I am a bit wary. Today's story on Incredible specs didn't help since it seems to contain conflicting info on the memory size and the microSD memory size supported. It just didn't seem legit.

In any case, I have been leaning towards the Nexus One but I am a bit concerned about a lot of the issues I've read about. I just saw this story today:
phandroid.com/2010/04/08/nexus-one-users-are-getting-fed-up-with-issues/

Those that do have a Nexus One, do you see many of these issues? It's starting to make me re-consider getting the phone when it is released because it sounds like it has serious issues. Of course, I would be interested to hear if owners think this is overblown. I don't seem to hear about any of the negatives of the other Android phones but it does seem like every flaw of the Nexus One is publicized.

Any comments would be appreciated. Thanks.

anon(6936)

Jan 6, 2010
Visit site
some people may say they never had a single issue with their Nexus. I'll be the first to admit I did, BUT:

- much of it was user error and adjusting to a new device.
- Android as a platform could still use some refinement. The iPhone comparison should never be made.
- I had real issues with BT audio clipping: solved with root and Cyanogen ROM
- I had issues with touchscreen not registering, 98% solved by using either a case or the Cyanogen ROM.

So,,,, take what you read with a grain of salt. Those guys post eye catching headlines because that's what sells. Yes there are some gripes on the Google forum but read through the lines of who is posting those gripes. Honestly, the level of help and feedback Google is giving sucks and leaving users to self diagnose their issues is leading to all kinds of frustration.

Lumping all the issues into a group think that the phone sucks isn't right and by my experience, not true. It's one of the best phones I've owned and I seem to get a new one every 6 months these days. The apps Google keeps rolling out are a ton of fun and one of the big reasons I love this phone.

Last edited:

piperp

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
rvinny, thanks for the input. A couple comments:

1. I never had an iPhone but I do have an iPod Touch I use for listening to podcasts and watch videos when I travel. I am not sure that I am used to it enough to draw a comparison and agree that Android is new so this comparison should not be made.
2. I've read that Cyanogen ROM can solve some of the issues some people report on. I want to think long and hard before I consider that. I am inclined to stay with stock Android and wait for some of the features I care about to be added (i.e. saving apps to microSD and waking device via trackball...WIFI tethering and overclocking are not huge needs).

I have been researching for the last few months so I am well aware of the issues but I am very interested in Android as a platform and want the experience Google envisioned. I am tied to Verizon for network reasons but I want to try one of the top Android devices aside from the Droid since I didn't really like the keyboard, etc.

Thanks again for the feedback since this will only help me form my decision as I get more info from current users.

anon(6936)

Jan 6, 2010
Visit site
yean np, in about 3 weeks (if true) you will have two solid Android choices for Verizon. Keep the iPod Touch, use Android for a few weeks and you may find yourself not needing the iPod anymore. Not sure if you are a Mac or PC user, but if you are tied to iTunes then that would be one drawback to Android. However, Amazon music store is built in and cheaper. DoubleTwist does a pretty good job, especially the Mac version. You can root anytime, no rush.

I bike and am outdoors a lot. My Tracks, Sky View, Google Googles, Picasa integration and Google Turn-by-Turn Nav were what got me to come over. The amazing screen, excellent voice quality, NO DROPPED CALLS, speed, freedom to do what I want with my phone (and carrier), multi-tasking, and constant updates (via root) without the manufacturer dangling incremental carrots for another $500 are what won me over.

Last edited:

eazyd

Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
The only one of those issues that has really affected me is the touch screen. Sometimes it flips out and registers incorrectly with multi touch. More often than not though its just one of my fingers that wasnt supposed to be touching the screen area causing it tho.

piperp

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, I was a bit concerned about that but I found that there were little problems I found with my Blackberry and my iPod Touch that were on par with the complaints I've heard of the Nexus One. It seems that the hype of the phone caused the negative features to get that much more press.

In any case, right now, I am still up in the air due to the Incredible being released. I think I am going to wait to see what happens by April 29. I'll probably go to a VZW store to try the Incredible to see how I like first. If the Nexus One is out, I'll decide then whether to roll the dice on that or I'll just get the Incredible if it's still not out.

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
The only one of those issues that has really affected me is the touch screen. Sometimes it flips out and registers incorrectly with multi touch. More often than not though its just one of my fingers that wasnt supposed to be touching the screen area causing it tho.

My biggest niggle is the touch sensitive buttons. I touch them too often accidentally because the touch area is too close to the screen. Occasionally my phone will flip out and not let me answer a call, but nothing major, and nothing that would make me not want the phone.

I was wary of switching from an iPhone at first, but its SO easy to get used to the features of Android and miss them on other phones. I was underwhelmed by what we saw of iPhone 4.0, so there's no looking back for me.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BlueSun