"Reachability"-like function on Android in 2021?

Phas0r

Nov 1, 2021
Visit site
Hi all. The "Reachability" in my thread title refers to the function on iOS, which I've seen a friend show me, which essentially solves the problem of not being able to reach all corners of a screen with a single hand/thumb. I didn't get to play around with the feature, but from what I recall it basically pulls down any app you're using like half way down the screen which makes all parts of it eminently reachable.

I did a bit of searching some time ago, and just quickly looked it up again. Apparently there are news/rumors that this feature is in the works to be native to Android (woo!). Also, this site claims that some function to address this is a "common add-on" among manufacturers:
https://www.androidpolice.com/2021/02/18/android-12-has-an-iphone-style-one-handed-mode/

At one point, I recall from my last time looking into this, there was also a third party app specifically for this from folks at XDA Developers, but that app is now dead or discontinued.

So, my question is, if I were to get a phone right now, what would be my options for getting this functionality or some version of it? Is there a new third-party app that I'm not aware of, which would work for any manufacturer? Which manufacturers do have a feature to address this and how is it done? The article mentions Motorola and Samsung--which others? Is there any manufacturer that has the best solution?

I have been hanging on to my XZ1 Compact despite its cracked screen only because I loathe the idea of not being able to do everything I want with just one hand. But such a feature sounds like it would completely solve the problem with bigger screens.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

Phas0r

Nov 1, 2021
Visit site
I couldn't get back into my account for some time, but now that it got resolved, I wanted to follow up to say--thank you! That's actually good to know. However, since I need a phone quickly, I won't be able to wait until other manufacturers get Android 12. But this does add Google Pixels to the list of options since they already have it.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelrie