Radio Issue after 2.3.7

Peopo

Sep 22, 2011
Visit site
New forum member here... hello all! I just manually updated to 2.3.7, and all the wallet features seem to be fine -- got my $10, but haven't had the opportunity to try using it yet. I didn't know whether to start a new thread for this or whether to discuss this in an existing 2.3.7 thread...

(Note: the following is all indoors... I'll find out how bad it is outdoors tomorrow)

Anyway, it appears that this update has messed up my radio. Before the update, I never had a problem getting a signal (3G or 4G). While I might not have had a full 4 bars, I had a steady connection at 1-2 bars. After updating, I practically have no signal. I now have either no signal or 0 bars... sometimes it goes up to 1 bar, sometimes I'll have data, sometimes the 3G might come on. It is not enough to connect to the Google data servers, and calls/text messages have become highly unreliable -- I cannot use this as a 'phone' in this state. I believe some people saw radio improvements with 2.3.7 -- am I the only one whose radio got significantly worse?

Are there recommended steps I can take now? Downgrade back to 2.3.5? Downgrade just the radio to KE5 (this can be accomplished in the volumeup+power on boot recovery menu, right?), keeping 2.3.7 + Wallet? Is rolling back generally safe to do? I'm relatively new to android and have been trying to keep it clean/simple, so I have not tweaked much of anything.

Thanks in advance!

For reference, my phone is:
2.3.7; Baseband D720SPRKE1; Kernel 2.6.35.7-gf5f63ef android-build@apa28 #1; Build number GWK74.

6tr6tr

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
Have you tried shutting down the phone and restarting? When I installed 2.3.5, my radio/wifi was all messed up until I did a complete shutdown and restart.

skinneejay

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
I would do a bunch of things first before downgrading. Do a full hard restart. Shut the Nexus S down and remove the battery. Then power on. See if that helps first. Next Update your PRL and Profile. Then restart one more time. Hopefully this helps. I also know that in my area Sprint has been doing a major overhaul of all of the towers in the area. along with installing new towers. I would assume this is for the iphone that will be heading over in Oct. Hope this helps.

Peopo

Sep 22, 2011
Visit site
Hi, thanks for the replies. I have tried all those things: power off/on, battery pull, PRL, profile... the problems persist.Here's an update on what I'm experiencing, after having tested out the connection more this morning:

Inside apartment (4-story townhouse-type structure, I am on the 2nd floor, about 1/4 mile from tower, but not an unobstructed line of sight):
- Connectivity, generally: the number of bars jumps from 0-2. I no longer experience "no service", nor do I have to roam anymore (phone started roaming right after updating).
- Phone service: mediocre. I can make and receive calls/texts fine, but calls do get dropped. To my recollection, I've never dropped a call before this.
- 3G Data connects, but throughput is miserable. Even though the status bar might be 3G+2bars, there is practically nothing coming through. Unusable.
- 4G Data connects and works as before. I can't say if it's faster or slower, but as long as it's dependable, that's good enough for me.
- Wi-fi Data seems much better than before -- stronger and faster connection.

Outside (same tower plus others):
- Connectivity: 3G is OK, jumps around from 0-4(full) bars, spends most of the time at 2-4 (if I'm not mistaken, I used to maintain a consistent 4 bars.) Throughput is decent enough. I can't say for certain, but maybe it is faster. I didn't use the data connection for a long enough duration to see if the connection would drop completely, but it was constant enough to stream a Youtube clip without interruption.
- Other: Haven't had the opportunity to adequately test call quality.

Other Comments:
My service now seems just slightly better than it was last night, so hopefully that could be some indication of network/tower maintenance work? However, I don't know how much that can explain the drop in service immediately after updating to 2.3.7. I am in the DC metro area if that means anything.

Remedies: On the issue of flashing the radio, this is generally recognized as safe, correct? And using an old radio on newer firmware is alright as well? (*KE5 on my current install of 2.3.7) Can this be performed with the stock Android System Recovery? If my issues continue, this is what I'd hope to do...

Last edited:

valen2384

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
same here Peopo, im having the same issues. i used to be able to get full wifi signal at home before the update. Now im only getting 2 bars and a download speed of less then 1 Mbs using the speed test, but my upload is at 2.1 Mbs. Also my 3g radio was working inside buildings before the update now i cant even get a signal. Outside though i have Full Strength. As for 4g, it was better before the update now i sit at 1 bar in a area i used to have a full 4g signal. I tested this with my sisters Epic and she was getting a Full 4g signal in the same area. So i know for a fact something is wrong with the reception after this update. :(

Ninja Edit* > I have updated the PRL and profile and it still sucks.

Peopo

Sep 22, 2011
Visit site
Call Sprint from a different phone and ask them to reprovision your data.

I just attempted this through echat -- the rep had me power off, pull the battery out, power on, and run "Update Profile" in the settings menu. On Sprint's end, she said: "I have refreshed the data services now." That was about an hour ago. So far no change (if anything, it's worse).

Just to update my findings... even outside, my 3G is not completely stable. It drops in and out -- not enough to drive me crazy, but certainly worse than before the update. Generally, once I enter a building, 3G goes away. I guess I'll attempt going back to the old KE5 radio if things don't magically work themselves out.

Last edited:

skinneejay

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
Where are you located? I know from two of my buddies who work for sprint. I'm talking about corp and field techs certain areas are going through massive tower updates.

Could you maybe trying wiping your phone clean and then reinstalling the update?

I really think this is more of a sprint tower issue then a phone issue. There are times when I am at my desk and work and I go from4 bars to 2. Then the signal drops to no bars and then back up to 2.

If you look over at the Epic 4G touch forums you will see people having data and signal problems also.

Peopo

Sep 22, 2011
Visit site
I'm in the DC area.

Earlier yesterday, I just decided to revert to the KE5 radio. My Wi-Fi connection is a little weaker, but everything else is back to normal.

intheb0x

Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
You can downgrade back to the old radio right through rom manager, its simple and does it on its own.

while i was seeing similar problems, ive stuck with the newest radio and havent had any issues.

but if they start up again, i wont hesitate to jump back

jenluvs2sing

Sep 21, 2011
Visit site
I just got my Nexus S last week and I can say I had the same issues with my previous phone, a palm pre. My tech of choice at my local store told me the issues I'm having are because of the tower upgrades. He told me they were upgrading the network for the ridiculous iPhone and that they issues would be over soon. I hope really soon, I have Sprint for my innernets, too...

BlackHawkA4

Drop the Bag
Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
I just wanted to share my experience with the new radio and say that it's 100% better than the last.

Every night driving home from my girlfriends house I will drive down those long stretch of woods. As soon as I hit it I would go from full service to absolutely none. Wouldn't be able to load Pandora stations till I got past it. Tonight. I gave another shot.

Kept a steady 2 bars drop to 1 a couple of times. But was able to skip through 6 songs on Pandora.

And. Usually when I got to the highway I would have to wait till I got am exit out before it would restore. When I got to the highway this time it shot up to 3 bars. Then driving 4. Then an exit out. Full.

If anyone has issues I can guarantee its not the fault of the new radios.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wadeharper