Razr Maxx > Is it worth the 2 Yr contract right now?

cgardnervt

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
The topic says it all! What do you all think? I am looking at the ATT HTC One X Or the Droid Razr maxx for Verizon. Both have good signal in my area. Trying to think whats better. Verizon JUST put LTE in my area and ATT only has HSPA+...Thoughts?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I think we're all a little biased on this forum, but I'd go for the Maxx. The phone is just awesome--obviously, the battery is a beast, but besides that, it is one of the more problem-free phones you're going to find. Sure, you'll see some complaints on the forums, but compared to other phones, they're much fewer. Reception and voice quality is excellent. No ICS yet, but it's definitely coming--Gingerbread works very well on it, and having experienced ICS on my tablet, I'm not sure how much more it'll add.

It looks like you're on Sprint, right? For anyone reading this thread and who is already on Verizon, and who also has an unlimited plan, now is the right time to get this phone because pretty soon, Verizon will only allow you to keep your unlimited plan if you buy a phone at an unsubsidized price (which is usually around $400-600 for most modern smartphones). On top of that, the Maxx should be a pretty long-lived phone given its awesome battery.

Reactions: cgardnervt

cgardnervt

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the reply! I am moving carriers to a better network. Sprint in my area is spotty. So I was looking at the HTC One X from ATT and the Droid Razr Maxx for Verizon. Now Verizon jst added LTE in my area last week. (Vermont!) While LTE isn't all that important the battery sounds amazing. I also understand the screen isn't the best but it works! So I am trying to get a sense of what people like about the Razr. You post has been helpful! Thanks again.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Sure, no problem! How's AT&T's service there--do they have their fastest version of 4G there? (i.e., true LTE, not HSPA+) That's another factor to consider.

As for the screen, it's true that it isn't the best, but it's not noticeably a problem. I have noticed that some very skinny fonts in certain clock widgets don't show up that clearly. It really depends on what you need your smartphone for, and what's most important to you. If multimedia is absolutely crucial (e.g., watching lots of movies), then the One X might be better, but the problem is that multimedia devours battery, so it's still a big tradeoff. For me, it was very important to have a very good phone that I didn't have to charge every single night--with the Maxx, I go 2-3 days between charges.

Good luck with your decision!

cgardnervt

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
Thanks B. Diddy!

ATT in my area only has HSPA+ at the moment. But the download speeds are not all THAT important to me! Right now I currently have an HTC Evo 3D on Sprint. Its about 9 months old and I am used to bad battery life! Not sure how it stands up to the One X yet. Just trying to figure out whats better for coverage. GSM is nice for battery but the Maxx would fix any battery life issues it sounds like!

Again thanks for the information and help!

rbess1965

May 24, 2011
Visit site
I haven't use a One X so can't be unbiased :) but my Maxx has been a pleasure to use so far. I love being able to run a live wallpaper and 4G all day without stressing over the next charging location. The screen on a One X will no doubt be nicer but what about its battery life? Can you enjoy that nice screen all day? Bottom line is if vzw were to cut off unlimited plans tomorrow and this becomes the phone i keep a long time to keep unlimited, I'd be perfectly satisfied doing so. Now if the Motorola fighter comes out soon with a better screen, this battery and the reliability isn't screwed up by ics or something, that would be the phone to have.

Sent using Droid Razr Maxx

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site
I'm biased towards the maxx of course so it gets my vote. As said, it is a true beast and for dependability, it has it. With all the talk of verizon throttling, which I experience regularly, their latest ploy to dump people off the unlimited data plans, I might think twice about signing up, but at the end of the day even with the worts and all I think they have the best coverage of any carrier.
I plan on keeping the maxx as long as humanly possible since it looks like I'll be buying 3rd party from now on to try and maintain unlimited data. You can't go wrong with the maxx!

kevworthy

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
I just went through the same decision...When they dropped 100 bucks I decided to go ahead and get it. My razr is the best phone I have had to date and I am selling it for 300 so I am making a 100 on the deal. I thought about waiting for the HD but the maxx is big enough., a 4.7 screen is just too big.

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Rumor is that the HD will have the 3300 mAh battery. But when you're talking about that size of battery, even the additional HD drain wont ruin the experience.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Android Central Forums

experiment 626

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
As was stated earlier, I would bet VZW will have their new cap & share Data policies just in time for this phone( and the SGS3). This phone might be the best available under the current upgrade system.

cordoni

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
As was stated earlier, I would bet VZW will have their new cap & share Data policies just in time for this phone( and the SGS3). This phone might be the best available under the current upgrade system.

Exactly this. That is why I am getting one on Thursday to lock in unlimited data until September 2014.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

DrDiff

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
I've heard that p3droid has the latest 3 Motorola phones: razar, Maxx, droid4 running on GSM carriers (ATT).
Sim card swap and some other ADB type stuff.

Truth is that they are all Global phones. Verizon doesn't want to advertise this. :p

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AnnetteConnor