Re-root (Wug's replacement) following 4.0.4 update

tjgrey

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
Hello-

New poster but long time reader...

I had been going through the guides for updating and rooting the Nexus following the 4.0.4 update pushed from VZW. I had a problem that I did not see here so I thought I would share my experiences in case it could help someone. (Mods please feel free to edit/delete as necessary...) And there may be another or better way to do this, but here is what I found...

I went through the OTA update pushed after flashing back to the stock 4.0.2 image (for whatever reason I could not update manually) and noticed that I had lost both root access as well as Clockwork Mod. I realized that I could not flash the updated SU.zip due to not having the Recovery, and I also knew that rooting within Wug's tool would just send the outdated SU package. To fix, I navigated to C:/Wugs_GnexRootToolkit/data (I'm on Win7, but wherever the data folder is located on your PC), and replaced the SU.zip with the latest version linked in several of the threads lately (file size is 679kb versus 1100kb). I then rooted with Wug's toolkit and it was a success. Simple file replacement for the push.

Again, apologies if this has been explained already, I just wanted to add the info in case someone was going through the same process and had this problem.

TJ

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Ok... for future reference, tho... As long as your bootloader is unlocked you don't need to be rooted to get into CWM Recovery... you just open a command window inside your adb / fastboot folder and make sure a valid CWM image is in the folder (grab the touch 5.8.0.2 version for free @ clockworkmod.com), boot into the bootloader, plug in, type in that command window:
fastboot boot recovery nameofrecovery.img
(replace nameofrecovery with the actual name of the img file)

That will boot you into the recovery, and from there you can flash that updated SU package. Once that's done, you can delete that recover-from-boot.p or whatever it was called from /system, and permanently flash CWR using either Rom Manager or, preferably, booting back into the bootloader and doing just like I said above, but this time change the command to:
fastboot flash recovery nameofrecovery.img

Might sound more complicated.. but its good to know you have options and to try and familiarize yourself with them. :)

Last edited:

GNex Girl

Feb 5, 2012
Visit site
To fix, I navigated to C:/Wugs_GnexRootToolkit/data (I'm on Win7, but wherever the data folder is located on your PC), and replaced the SU.zip with the latest version linked in several of the threads lately (file size is 679kb versus 1100kb). I then rooted with Wug's toolkit and it was a success. Simple file replacement for the push.
Thanks so much, this worked for me. I get the dreaded "waiting for device" error due to the drivers not working well in Windows XP so this was the only way for me to reroot.

GNex Girl

Feb 5, 2012
Visit site
Ok... for future reference, tho... As long as your bootloader is unlocked you don't need to be rooted to get into CWM Recovery... you just open a command window inside your adb / fastboot folder and make sure a valid CWM image is in the folder (grab the touch 5.8.0.2 version for free @ clockworkmod.com), boot into the bootloader, plug in, type in that command window:

That will boot you into the recovery, and from there you can flash that updated SU package. Once that's done, you can delete that recover-from-boot.p or whatever it was called from /system, and permanently flash CWR using either Rom Manager or, preferably, booting back into the bootloader and doing just like I said above, but this time change the command to:

Might sound more complicated.. but its good to know you have options and to try and familiarize yourself with them. :)

I can't do any of what you posted here due to the "waiting for device" error. I have done what is in Cyber Warrior's troubleshooting section on drivers and still get "waiting for device." The problem is that the drivers don't work well in Windows XP.

tjgrey

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site

Definitely a handful haha but I'm with you on having options. Thanks for the advice!

tjgrey

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
Thanks so much, this worked for me. I get the dreaded "waiting for device" error due to the drivers not working well in Windows XP so this was the only way for me to reroot.

Your welcome! This just made the most sense and seemed the simplest way to me.