Real Quick Question

CloudBusterr

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
So I've been changing between BACKside and Harmonia a lot in the past little bit, and I've backed up every time I switched. Which was a hassle because of the wait, and then I had to store them on my computer. So I was wondering, if I already have a backup of each, can I just switch ROMs without backing up EVERY time?

jdcnosse

May 11, 2011
Visit site
Yes you don't need to backup every time unless you've changed something and like to keep it as part of your backup. Otherwise as long as you've got one backup of each then you should be fine. If you break something then you just restore the backup

CloudBusterr

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
so I would lose my most recent changes. great.
I have a 2GB microSD card and I found out that it doesn't hold more than about 3 backups. =P
I have a second MicroSD card, but I don't know how to use the two together to save me space.

Ticojpunk

Recordist
Jun 6, 2011
Visit site
so I would lose my most recent changes. great.
I have a 2GB microSD card and I found out that it doesn't hold more than about 3 backups. =P
I have a second MicroSD card, but I don't know how to use the two together to save me space.

One nandroid backup should be approximately 270mb.

Sent via VM670

JerryScript

Daydream Believer
Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
A android backup will vary in size dependant upon the number of apps you have installed. My backups are a little over 1gig.

Use dropbox to store your extra backups and you will have plenty of room left. You can also get a cheap 4 gig sdcard for around $10 these days

Reactions: CloudBusterr

fenrix

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
you can delete the cache/dlavik cache before backing up it takes longer to boot after restore but saves a lot of space, my Backside without caches is like 130mb

fenrix

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
although I also made my own ringers deleted all the originals from system/media, and replaced many apps, deleting what I dont use, mostly accessiblty(tts) and all google, account/sync, google framework, gallery3d->quickpic..
launcher->golauncherex,..and the bootanimation is big i use a little rebel alliance logo

CloudBusterr

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
you can delete the cache/dlavik cache before backing up it takes longer to boot after restore but saves a lot of space, my Backside without caches is like 130mb

Before I do that, I need to know what cache/dlavik cache is. =P I know I had to format it when installing my ROMS, but I don't know what it contains.

JerryScript

Daydream Believer
Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
Cache is a portion of the system where frequently used stuff is stored for quick retrieval. This greatly increases performance since all the processing required to create this "stuff" doesn't have to be repeated everytime, the os just loads it from the cache. Dalvik is the java based virtual machine Android uses to run most of it's functions/applications. The Dalvik cache is just like the normal cache, but it is reserved to the Dalvik virtual machine.

The only consequence of wiping cache or dalvik-cache is the next time programs load up, they will have to process all information they normally would have just grabbed out of the cache. This means your first boot after wiping caches will take longer, and the first time you access some apps may take longer as well. After that, everything should behave as before, but perhaps faster due to non-necessary "stuff" being wiped away making it easier to find/access necessary "stuff".

CloudBusterr

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
yeah. I'm going to look online for them. I definitely need a bigger card. It definitely seems worth it

I just wish I could combine my two 2GB cards into one 4GB card. =P

jdcnosse

May 11, 2011
Visit site
I'm curious, would a nandroid plus a backup from TB or other similar program be just as good? I mean you'd have the nandroid for the ROM, and then you could use TB to back up your data...

EDIT: I rethought how, if this worked, I'd do it. install all your apps that you like to do normally, then back them up and uninstall all but Titanium, then do a nandroid so it only contains TB. Of course I'm not sure how big TB backups are, so that could very well pose a problem.

fenrix

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
Does Titanium also store the data in the app? I don't google sync do my google maps starred places is only on my phone. I dont mind searching for them, I only keep 2 main stars home/work lol.
if it doesnt just upload the apk's to 4shared they can be downloaded even with the stock browser, or keep em on an sd that way, I just copy them outta the data/app & system/app folder (as I moved most of them there)
and upload them, or better yet, e-mail them as attachments in gmail and keep them in there in your google drive space in a "saved apks" folder, then u can dl'd from a super secure private space, or rename them to mp3's & put em on a cloud drive, haha! that is if clouddrives let u download & not just stream, then its a secret backup haha, I dont use clouddrive so I dunno but it may work, the gmail idea is much better!

JerryScript

Daydream Believer
Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
A nandroid backup will not have the TitaniumBackup's data included in it, that's stored on the sdcard. The nandroid backup doesn't backup the SDCard, you have to do that manually to your PC or a cloud service like DropBox.

Uninstalling everything before making a nandroid will make it smaller, but it is much more of a pita to restore via TitaniumBackup or other backup programs. The nandroid just re-writes the entire image onto the phone, while the TB backup has to be restored almost the same as installing, which is a much longer process.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BuzZKillz78