Realistic time frame for AT&T GS3 to get Jelly Bean?

saintforlife

May 1, 2012
Visit site
When can we realistically expect an AT&T SG3 to get the Jelly Bean official update? I'm not a rooter, so I will be at the mercy of the carrier. TIA!

Last edited:

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
I think worrying about Jellybean is currently not an issue... We've only heard some little bits and pieces about Jellybean currently so I think its safe to say its still a ways off.

Will it get it? Sure I would think so... I do believe there will be newer devices that will be released specifically supporting a new OS at launch time or soon after.

doomtuba

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Seeing that the GS2s of the world are just now getting ICS I would assume the same thing for the S3 next year.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

equishd

May 20, 2012
Visit site
well i would say 6month plus...but Samsung got it the way they wanted with this release and mite push to improve updates also

but realistically 6month +

nkd

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Can we have the phone first. Gotta love all the future OS threads when the phone is not even in our hands. Development for this phone will be off the frickin charts, you can bet on that.

hoovhartid

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
When can we realistically expect an AT&T SG3 to get the Jelly Bean official update? I'm not a rooter, so I will be at the mercy of the carrier. TIA!

if jellybean is like ICS, then there won't be much benefit for this phone to get it IMO.

to explain... ICS was an OS optimized for a dual core processor... designed to conserve battery life and speed up the phone tasks for fluidity.

If Jellybean follows suit....it will be optimized for a quad core for the same purpose.

a dual core phone will see little to no significant benefit.

most of the next-gen flagship phones will feature a quad-core processor. I think that is the direction Jellybean will go.

saintforlife

May 1, 2012
Visit site
Learn to root...lol. It's so easy.

I hear these stories about phones getting bricked when you try to mess with it and it scares me. If an Android phone gets bricked during the process of rooting, flashing ROMs etc., is there any coming back from it? Can a professional revive the phone?

nkd

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
I hear these stories about phones getting bricked when you try to mess with it and it scares me. If an Android phone gets bricked during the process of rooting, flashing ROMs etc., is there any coming back from it? Can a professional revive the phone?

Don't buy a phone today based on any future OS. Not a best way to buy anything, if you are always thinking about the next best thing, you will always be waiting. you should be glad it has the latest update of ICS.

Reactions: equishd

equishd

May 20, 2012
Visit site
Don't buy a phone today based on any future OS. Not a best way to buy anything, if you are always thinking about the next best thing, you will always be waiting. you should be glad it has the latest update of ICS.

Or get a nexus which doesn't even guarantee that you will get a timely update

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Android Central Forums

Anthonicia

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site

U really have to try and brick your phone nowadays. People that say they brick it now are usually referring to a "soft" brick. These can be alleviated easily.

I'm waiting to root the EVO LTE simply because there aren't any roms to flash to other than stock. Plus I don't want to mess up google wallet. But I will root it to remove bloatware and basically make my phone the way I want it.

Being able to root your phone is one of the best things about android. Don't be afraid. All your doing is giving yourself administrator access like on your pc. Or "root" access on Linux: hence the term.

Sent from OG EVO LTE with Android Central Forums

Reactions: equishd

PJnc284

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
Think Samsung devices tend to be one of the harder ones to brick anyways as 99.99% of the time there's a way to get back.

As for Jelly Bean....lol. This is Samsung we're talking about. You "may" get it next summer. Their track record with US updates is awful.

ReggieTee

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
Think Samsung devices tend to be one of the harder ones to brick anyways as 99.99% of the time there's a way to get back.

As for Jelly Bean....lol. This is Samsung we're talking about. You "may" get it next summer. Their track record with US updates is awful.

Unless you root.

ricktat

Oct 3, 2011
Visit site
It will be out sometime after the release of the GS IV and thats a year away.

If you follow ATT and GS 1 and GS2... it takes a while.

How much Bloat could a Bloat chuck chuck if a Bloat chuck could chuck Bloat

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site

THIS

I went to town on both my fassy and my charge, they are tough to brick. I only ever heard of one that went into the tank and that was a accident not really related to flashing (they were flash, but I believe his son kicked the USB cable out or he dropped it, cannot remember which, but either way, the cable came out)

coinmanmat

Mar 14, 2012
Visit site

So true lol and T-Mobile's Galaxy S II is now just getting ICS two weeks before the GS3 and the other GS2s have had no ICS updates yet. Sammy does need to do a much better job with updates and I think they will with the Galaxy S III. The problem with updates for the first two Galaxy S generations was each carrier had their own take on the phone so it made it much more challenging for Samsung to develop software updates. Now with the Galaxy S III having the same design and specifications across the board for all carriers that means they only need to develop one ROM and push it out to all the phones at the same time. The reason why the Sprint Galaxy S III looks like the AT&T version or they all look like the International version is because Samsung finally put its foot down and said no to individual carrier modifications. This makes it so much easier for Sammy now to push out updates and kudos to them for pulling it off!

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Android Central Forums

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
w8wca