Receive text and map directions from Note 3

komobu

Sep 25, 2013
Visit site
To start with, I drive stretched limousines for weddings, parties, proms, and the like. Often I can spend three or more hours sitting in a car and waiting. My phones is the Samsung Note 3.

I just picked up a Samsung Note 10.1 2014 Tablet. There are a few things that I would like to do, but I dont know if it is possible.

While I am waiting in the car, I read, study and watch you-tube videos, or even watch tv streamed from my home. When the customer texts me to pull up to the front door, I would like his text or call to automatically show up on my tablet.. That way if I dont hear my phone, I will see it on my tablet.

If someone calls me, I would like to answer the call through my tablet.

Those two things I think will be straight forward, now what I think may not be so straight forward..Is it possible to type in an address on my Note 3 and send it straight to my tablets navigation app? Could the phone act as a bluetooth keyboard for the tablet?

Often people book limos to go clubbing or other multiple destinations. While in one club, they will hear about another brand new club that just opened and they will want to check that out. So, when I open the back door and let them in the car they will say something like "I just heard about Club X, Takes us there!" My phone will most likely be in my pocket, and the tablet in the front of the limo. The tablet is the main navigation device. When I hit the drivers seat, I have to be able to leave immediately. I cant keep them waiting by typing the new destination into my tablet.

Would it be possible to type in "Club X" in my phone, say on google, and send the address straight to my tablet's navigation app? Is something like this possible?

Keep in mind the phone and the tablet will always be within a few feet of each other. Side Sync may work, but I would like to be able to use either the phone or the tablet and not be stuck limited to just one or the other. They also both have 4g service on my Verizon shared data plan.

Thanks for any feedback.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Re: Is this Possible?

For the text from Tablet part, take a look at this: https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...id=com.mightytext.tablet&hl=en&token=wHwHk6n8

It looks like you may need to create an account, but looks like it'll work once you get it setup. I would suggest taking a look at that app and developer webpage for more information.

Regarding the maps/navigation, there's no easy way to have the new destination automatically show up on the Tablet when inputted on the phone. You can probably add the place as a favorite on the phone (through maps) then fire up maps on the Tablet and pull up that recently added favorite. If there's a more easier way to do this (other than searching and pulling directions from the Tablet rather than the phone) I'd like to know as well.

MedicD

Jul 30, 2011
Visit site
I would recommend (because I use) Google Hangouts with a Google Voice Number, then use that Google voice number as your primary number for everything.

As for the map... maybe just talk the location into Google now on the phone to get the actual address and a rough idea of where it is, then as you start driving use Google Now on the tablet and say "navigate me to Club X" and it'll be pretty instant, assuming you have data on the tablet (or a hotspot).

If you do it that way, all your texts will instantly show up on both devices, and if they ever text an address it'll be on both devices, ready to click and navigate right away.

komobu

Sep 25, 2013
Visit site
I would recommend (because I use) Google Hangouts with a Google Voice Number, then use that Google voice number as your primary number for everything.

As for the map... maybe just talk the location into Google now on the phone to get the actual address and a rough idea of where it is, then as you start driving use Google Now on the tablet and say "navigate me to Club X" and it'll be pretty instant, assuming you have data on the tablet (or a hotspot).

If you do it that way, all your texts will instantly show up on both devices, and if they ever text an address it'll be on both devices, ready to click and navigate right away.

This may work rather well because I could actually text the address / name that the customer requests to myself. Now when I get to the front of the car, it is already in a text message on the tablet for me to copy / paste in the nav program.

Since you brought up Google Voice, is there a way to tell what number the caller dialed? I am only a driver and not the owner of the company. I do not deal with taking requests for services. All I do is get to the pick up on time and get them where they are going. I often get a lot of intoxicated people and dont want them calling me in the middle of the night by mistake. I would only give the Limo number to customers. If the Limo number was dialed, I would want it to go straight to voice mail if I was on my day job and not driving.

MedicD

Jul 30, 2011
Visit site
This may work rather well because I could actually text the address / name that the customer requests to myself. Now when I get to the front of the car, it is already in a text message on the tablet for me to copy / paste in the nav program.

Since you brought up Google Voice, is there a way to tell what number the caller dialed? I am only a driver and not the owner of the company. I do not deal with taking requests for services. All I do is get to the pick up on time and get them where they are going. I often get a lot of intoxicated people and dont want them calling me in the middle of the night by mistake. I would only give the Limo number to customers. If the Limo number was dialed, I would want it to go straight to voice mail if I was on my day job and not driving.

If you text yourself the actual address (or send via hangout) you can literally click on it and it will open Google maps, no need to even copy and paste.

What you could do with Google Voice is use that specifically as the limo number. Inside Google Voice you can set it to ring at certain times... I don't recall exactly how to do it but I'm sure you can set it so that number only notifies you while actually working. That way, no 4 am calls.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alakmalak