Recover deleted notes cache

MVP83

Oct 7, 2018
Visit site
Please, can someone help me. I was clearing out caches in my apps to create space and accidentally cleared the cache on my android (Samsung A8) notepad app. I had written several important documents there that I desperately need. Does anyone know what I can do if anything to recover them?

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
If you wrote them but didn's save them, they were in RAM, and there's no way to recover them because they're no longer there.

Id you save them, they're not in the cache, they're in storage and don't need to be recovered unless you deleted them (individually).

Cache is data the app keeps about itself, it's not the data you're entering, that would be in Apps/<the app>/Data.

Clearing cache basically clears data the app should have cleared but couldn't, usually because, instead of closing the app, you just hit the Home button, leaving the app running. Then when the app eventually got closed (maybe you restarted, or turn the phone off), the data was still in the cache, and the app will never find it or use it again.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! If you actually tapped Clear Data for the notepad app, then those notes are probably gone forever. In the future, don't rely on the preinstalled notetaking app, since on most phones, those notes won't be synced or backed up anywhere automatically, so if something happens to the app or to the phone, then those notes are gone for good. In addition, if you upgrade your phone to one from a different manufacturer, those notes usually can't be transferred to the new phone's different notepad app. I suggest using something like Google Keep or Evernote, which automatically sync your notes to your cloud account, and can be accessed across different platforms (i.e., Android, iPhone, Windows, etc.).

MVP83

Oct 7, 2018
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! If you actually tapped Clear Data for the notepad app, then those notes are probably gone forever. In the future, don't rely on the preinstalled notetaking app, since on most phones, those notes won't be synced or backed up anywhere automatically, so if something happens to the app or to the phone, then those notes are gone for good. In addition, if you upgrade your phone to one from a different manufacturer, those notes usually can't be transferred to the new phone's different notepad app. I suggest using something like Google Keep or Evernote, which automatically sync your notes to your cloud account, and can be accessed across different platforms (i.e., Android, iPhone, Windows, etc.).

That sucks if true. Yeah I cleared the data. I thought the app I clicked on was Samsung internet not Samsung notes. Does that mean I can't recover the files even with the PC/root recovery methods suggested elsewhere to recover deleted data?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Does that mean I can't recover the files even with the PC/root recovery methods suggested elsewhere to recover deleted data?

I can't say for 100% certain, but I'd guess it's close to impossible. The notes probably weren't saved as discrete files, but rather as part of a database file; regardless, they would have been in a protected system directory, so this would all require root access, and the rooting process itself could overwrite that deleted data.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pfrei