Reformat SD card

Carrot Museum

Mar 29, 2022
Visit site
I added an SD card to my Nokia 4.2 running Android 11 with a view to making it available to store offline maps, music and photos.

I did not really understand the terminology and it was formatted as internal storage. I now think that was wrong and want the card to be able to be used a portable storage.

At the moment I cannot add anything to the sd card via a USB connection to a PC. In fact when I connect a USB all I see in Nokia 4.2 and cannot access any other files.

Under Settings - Storage I can see Internal shared storage (total used 19gb of 64gb)

Then underneath SD card 1.3gb used of 32gb

When I select the SD card is show 1.30gb in large blue letters and below -
Apps - 0.00gb
System - 0.35gb
Cached data 0.00gb

The phone has 32gb of shipped internal storage, and the SD card is a 32gb. Hence the 64gb figure above.

So my question is how do I safely uninstall and reformat the SD card. Then I can use it totally for portable storage, able to be changed via USB where necessary.

I have only taken one photo and downloaded one offline Gmap since installing the sd card.

Last edited by a moderator:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! There should be an option in the Settings>Storage​ menu to change the card to Portable Storage. Tap the SD card listed in that menu and look for an option there.

Carrot Museum

Mar 29, 2022
Visit site
Nokia 4.2 running Android 11

I fitted an sd card and (by accident) formatted it as internal drive. I have not added any apps or photos since I did it, all I have done is downloaded a Google offline map.

How do I change the format of the sd card so that it can be used for portable storage (external) which I can then use to add files via a pc?

Is anything lost or broken by doing a simple re-format?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I merged your threads. As I previously suggested, is there an option in the Storage menu to change the card to Portable Storage?

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech