Remote Desktop Setup

dengis

Dec 23, 2010
Visit site
Hello,

My laptop is connected to the internet through wifi tethering( thru my fascinate). What I am trying to do is use Remote Desktop on my laptop to connect to my home desktop. I tried few different setups that I found on the net but nothing is working for me. Is this possible to do at all, and if so, can some one explain it or direct me where I can read about it.

Here is what I have: both computers running Windows 7 Ultimate, Cisco Linksys E4200 Router, WiFi Tether 3.1 on Fascinate phone.

I also, tried few different apps on my android phone (Remote RDP, Remote Desktop) to connect to my host machine and it was unsuccessful.

joebob2000

Jun 18, 2010
Visit site
Your home machine and router are almost certainly the culprit; tethering (or coming straight from your phone) you face very few restrictions on your connectivity (other than speed/latency, lol). You need to make sure your home router is set up to "port-forward" port 3389 (the MS RDP port) from the public address to the private address your computer has. Also, make sure that you don't have Windows firewall or other similar programs running, or if you do make sure they too know to allow ANY traffic on port 3389 in and out, on any subnet.

dengis

Dec 23, 2010
Visit site
Thank you for your reply.

I have tried that before and had no success. I have allowed connection to port 3389 in KIS 2011 and in my router and still cant connect to the host computer.

When my phone is connected to the wifi and my laptop is connected to the net through the wifi tethering, I have no problem of connecting to the host computer through RDP on my phone and on the laptop. So is there different portforwarding for mobile connection (3G) or different setup in RDP, router, firewall?

Thank you.

dengis

Dec 23, 2010
Visit site
I'm assuming that connection to the host computer is coming from Verizon Wireless, so is there way to setup to allow connections from them?

awskier08

Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
Make sure the firewall on your router is off.

Also, make sure windows wireless and vendor firewall have the rdp port open.

You can download nmap and check to see if the port on your router is open

nmap 192.168.1.1 after you install it, it will show you the open ports.

dengis

Dec 23, 2010
Visit site
Thank you for your reply.

I figured it out, and everything works now. The problem was that I was trying to connect to routers IP address, and you need to use routers public IP address, which is the same thing but ipconfig doesnt give you that address.

Well anyway, if anyone is trying to set it up and have problems let me know and I'll try to help.

joebob2000

Jun 18, 2010
Visit site
Good to hear you got it working, that's what i figured the issue was. Connecting to RDP from inside your network vs outside your network (via tethering) means the IP address will be different.