removing SMS preview notification

neeneekins

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
Hello everyone!

I recently got the Samsung Epic and I love it.

I do have one minor issue with it i was hoping someone could help me with.

When you receive a text message it pops up on the top with what the person said. It can be very inconvenient in a work environment.

While i DO like the little icon that pops up and jingles to let me know i have a text i would like to turn off the preview of what was said.

Is this possible? I noticed some apps in the store that seem customizable but they don't say if they offer this feature.

Could anyone recommended an app that would allow me to turn off the preview but not loose the notification itself? It seems with the stock SMS options its all or nothing.

Thank you in advance for all your help!

RUSH

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Hi, neeneekins.
Welcome to the forum.

I was annoyed too with the visible notifications on the top of the phone display. I'm not sure if there is an app that will get rid of it... however, you could try "Handset Sms located in the market.

Ps. Make sure to disable the one your now using, so as to not get duplicate messages.

neeneekins

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
The handset SMS did not offer this feature, however GO SMS does.

You can set it so that when you get a message all it says on the top is "New Message".

Thanks again!:D

ratsttam

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Lets be clear... The stock message app is what puts the message up there. It's simply how it's notifications work. Other applications you can customize the notifications, such as Handcent and GoSMS (yes, both allow the removal of the actual message).

What you'll need to do, is pick a different SMS app, setup the notifications to only show that a message came in with the icon (each one is done differently). Than you have to open the stock SMS app, and turn off the notifications in there.

neeneekins what you will lose using a different sms app, is the ability to pull the button down to jump right to the message from the lock screen.

shaytoon21 I'm not familiar with the gnex (this is the wrong forum for that, this is the Epic 4g forum), but I don't believe the AOSP message app allows the disable of just the message itself, so you'll also need to go with a different sms app and disable the stock notifications.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sayou