Replace boot-up sound on Optimus V (if you've rooted)

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
I'm sure you ROM-cookers out there already know this one, but if I'd found it in a simple search I'd not post it.
The file is
/system/sounds/poweron/PowerOn.mp3
I removed the original file and copied a replacement with the same name.
I put a 40-second .mp3 there and it played in the background through the whole boot sequence and into the UI startup as well. I'm sure an appropriately short sound file would only play during boot.
You have to be rooted to modify system files. I used the adb shell, you could also use a terminal emulator on the handset.

thatguydylan

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
How did you do the adb shell to replace it? when ever i try to replace the file it just says that its a read only file system. i have the root etc etc

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
If you can su in a terminal app, or adb as root, you can remount the system read/write
mount -o remount,rw -t yaffs2 /system /system
and then remove/copy in the terminal or adb shell.

adb shell should give you a "#" prompt. If not, maybe superuser permission refused on phone when adb requests root? otherwise, default.prop (in / directory of phone) may have two or three values set which block adb (and potentially terminal su) root access.
my corrected default.prop has this set of values at the very beginning:
#
# ADDITIONAL_DEFAULT_PROPERTIES
#
ro.secure=0
ro.allow.mock.location=1
ro.debuggable=0
persist.service.adb.enable=0
ro.allow.mock.location doesn't seem important, but the others should be set to 0. When ro.debuggable was set to 1, I could su in a terminal on the handset but not through adb. ro.secure is supposed to affect this too.
the big bad boogeyman is the persist.service.adb, I believe that's the thing that psneuter and rageagainstthecage work to knock out. Definitely want that one to be 0.

I found that with Xionia CWMA v1.2518.4 recovery, I can access as root through the adb shell while the phone is in recovery mode even when I am otherwise locked out of root access. Other custom recoveries may have the same effect, I don't know.
You can overwrite files that way if nothing else. Just remount the system root r/w before overwriting the file.

Last edited:

asadullah

Oct 23, 2010
Visit site
Just to add some things. If you type
adb remount
while using a modified bootimage youdont have to type all that mount crap
A bootimage is basically two parts the ramdisk and the kernel. The ramdisk has a file in it called buildprop. In most cases the line r.o.secure equals 1 but if you modify it to equal 0 it allows you to adb remount. This will save you alot of time

Reactions: bigsupersquid

Longball

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
I'm sure you ROM-cookers out there already know this one, but if I'd found it in a simple search I'd not post it.
The file is

I removed the original file and copied a replacement with the same name.
I put a 40-second .mp3 there and it played in the background through the whole boot sequence and into the UI startup as well. I'm sure an appropriately short sound file would only play during boot.
You have to be rooted to modify system files. I used the adb shell, you could also use a terminal emulator on the handset.

FINALLY !! Thank you. I did not have that folder in my rooted Opti V so I just used root explorer created the folder and then the sb folder. I dropped the mp3 in there and once again I have sound on my little phone. Man how I envy all you folks that know all this ****in **** !

Longball

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
Just to add some things. If you type
adb remount
while using a modified bootimage youdont have to type all that mount crap
A bootimage is basically two parts the ramdisk and the kernel. The ramdisk has a file in it called buildprop. In most cases the line r.o.secure equals 1 but if you modify it to equal 0 it allows you to adb remount. This will save you alot of time

Thanks to you too man !! Thanks to your vids on youtube is how I got this phone rooted to begin with ....

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usapana_098