Republic Wireless

droidmyme

Apr 7, 2012
Visit site
Has anyone in the OV community scoped out this provider? I'm asking here because I respect yall's opinions (mainly) ;D

Sent from outer space

droidmyme

Apr 7, 2012
Visit site
Looks like you would have to be a savvy wireless consumer to be familiar with all the limits. I don't really keep track of all my minutes and texts and data usage, tbh. Idk if I should try this Republic out or not. Hm...

Sent from outer space

Eollie

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Looks like you would have to be a savvy wireless consumer to be familiar with all the limits. I don't really keep track of all my minutes and texts and data usage, tbh. Idk if I should try this Republic out or not. Hm...

Sent from outer space

They actually have a app that notifies you. It really isnt that much of a pain.

glarepate

Mar 30, 2012
Visit site

Sent from outer space

They have pretty much abandoned the limits because during the initial rollout they found that they could let users do pretty much whatever they wanted to and still not incur crippling network overhead costs. If you look around the site you will probably find this info.

Go ahead and sign up. That part is free. :p

I just saw a blog post today from May 30th saying that they will be starting Beta Wave B in July and hope to have all the Waves rolled out by September.

They NEVER meet any of their scheduled dates. That part you can rely on. :)

The phones are unsubsidized and the three price points they are considering (tentatively) are $200 for the Optimus R, just like ours but WiFi hand-off enabled, maybe WiMax/4G, $300 for something 1 GHz with a 3.7" screen, hardly worth the difference in price over the Opt. R, IMO, and a dual core 1.2GHz unit that sounds a LOT like the EVO. But it's $500!!!

I get $100 off because I signed up back in November. :-!

You have to use one of their phones, so don't expect to BYOD. They will e-mail you a week before your Wave so you have time to get money together. I have already started saving because I couldn't scrape even $200 together in a week.

Reactions: droidmyme

droidmyme

Apr 7, 2012
Visit site
They have pretty much abandoned the limits because during the initial rollout they found that they could let users do pretty much whatever they wanted to and still not incur crippling network overhead costs. If you look around the site you will probably find this info.

Go ahead and sign up. That part is free. :p

I just saw a blog post today from May 30th saying that they will be starting Beta Wave B in July and hope to have all the Waves rolled out by September.

They NEVER meet any of their scheduled dates. That part you can rely on. :)

The phones are unsubsidized and the three price points they are considering (tentatively) are $200 for the Optimus R, just like ours but WiFi hand-off enabled, maybe WiMax/4G, $300 for something 1 GHz with a 3.7" screen, hardly worth the difference in price over the Opt. R, IMO, and a dual core 1.2GHz unit that sounds a LOT like the EVO. But it's $500!!!

I get $100 off because I signed up back in November. :-!

You have to use one of their phones, so don't expect to BYOD. They will e-mail you a week before your Wave so you have time to get money together. I have already started saving because I couldn't scrape even $200 together in a week.

Awesome man, thanks a bunch!!!

Is this Wave thing similar to a limited invite or something?

Sent from my VM670 using Tapatalk 2

glarepate

Mar 30, 2012
Visit site
Awesome man, thanks a bunch!!!

Is this Wave thing similar to a limited invite or something?

Sent from my VM670 using Tapatalk 2

Yup. Perzactly! And according to the May update blog entry they will be doing several waves per week starting in July. I'm in wave E.

What I failed to give proper thought, weight and mention to is: The beta is closed again at the moment and may not re-open before Fall, if at all. However if things go well then the service will be transitioning to General Availability. Which is a good way for the beta to not re-open.

Of course the bad way for it to not re-open is if it klunks. So far that doesn't appear to be likely but only God knows and she's not telling.

glarepate

Mar 30, 2012
Visit site
Could they be flashed to vm?

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Android Central Forums

Nope. Well, maybe, but ...

The phones are modified Optimus Ses that display a green arc icon on the face of the handset when you are in range of a WiFi signal and they may have other hardware changes as well that allow WiFi to CDMA call hand-off (not working yet, so don't buy one for that feature either :p ). On top of that, like any MVNO they restrict the use of phones on their network to units that have one of the ESNs that they own. Just like VM does with their handsets you wouldn't be able to take an RW handset and flash it to VM

Maybe if you changed the ESN you could scam them, but Leslie Ann has lots of info on the hazards of that process. So if you are interested you might want to search for that.

Additionally they don't subsidize so you'd pay more for a phone that wouldn't be replaceable if anything happened to it. They don't replace 'em if you flash a new ROM or otherwise make the handset not work on their system.

bradhouser

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
I have been a Republic Wireless customer since the beginning, (Wave A), when they had a deal to get the Optimus S for $100. The service is about $20 a month, and since I am mostly in a Sprint dead spot, I use it over WiFi mostly. I have found the phone to be OK, but the limited memory means you may have to delete an app to add another or your email stops working,

They are providing new users with Motorola Defy XT phones, but they found out after the first batch went out that the phones are single band CDMA (1900MHz) so roaming on the 800Mhz band formerly used by Nextel is not supported. They are starting to ship the dual band Defy XT phones to those who want them, and they are offering a free upgrade to the single band Defy XT to the Wave A folks.

I am planning on taking advantage of the upgrade, as I don't plan on using the phone much on the Sprint network. When I activate the new phone, the Optimus S will be deactivated.

Q1: Can I continue to use the Optimus S as a data only device over Wifi? (e.g email, facebook, web, etc.) If so, I might be able to use it as a Skype phone.

Q2: Would a new ROM help, since would no longer need the hybrid wifi/cell service?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
teneika lee