Returning phone to VZW with cosmetic defects

djcyph

Nov 24, 2010
Visit site
so ive had my TB since day one no problems, rooted been on bunch roms. Randomly, a very thin section of my screen, stopped responding to touch. It's only the right side and about the width of the status bar. Def not ROM as I flashed others and a quick google search shows this happened to a lot of people so I'm going to try to get VZW to replace even if out of warranty.

Question is, I dropped phone a while back and a have a crack on the casing (NOT the screen). It definitely did not cause the touch issues because it happened probably like 8 months ago and I've had no problems till today.

Will they try charging me full price because of the crack? I'm assuming if they try I can just pay the 100 deductible with my insurance instead?

Should I be upfront when calling VZW and tell about the crack?

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I would be up front. Otherwise they may charge you i believe $300 for sending in a damaged device.

worwig

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
I would find a store and deal with them face to face. If you send it in, you may get a big surprise bill for a new phone.
There would be clear evidence that it was physically abused, and they can point to that as the issue.
I suspect you would be better off going with insurance.

Jude526

Trusted Member
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
Definitely use your insurance. They would ding you full value being damaged. Also only way for coverage if out of warranty is having an extended warranty on the phone. But you have ins

Sent from my Thunderbolt using Tapatalk

Ed Witles

May 4, 2011
Visit site
There should be a 'class action' b/c I have seen several post about a 1/2" part of the screen that did not work. Those kid draw apps would just stop - kinda like a 'force field' was keeping it at bay. I had to fork over $100 as I thought it might have been drop induced. Now I find out it was just genuine device malfunction. Crooks, they are. :)

Jude526

Trusted Member
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
There should be a 'class action' b/c I have seen several post about a 1/2" part of the screen that did not work. Those kid draw apps would just stop - kinda like a 'force field' was keeping it at bay. I had to fork over $100 as I thought it might have been drop induced. Now I find out it was just genuine device malfunction. Crooks, they are. :)

Contact Verizon retention. Have proof in writing phone being defective. Be professional and courteous. Maybe they can make this right for you.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

You can return the phone to Verizon under warranty so long as there is not any physical damage to the phone. This includes a part of the screen being non responsive.

Jude526

Trusted Member
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
Really is bothersome ppl wanting class action. Phones can have issues and be defective. Nothing is perfect. I am really tired of all the whining and complaining. People taking advantage make it difficult for those of us who don't. These ppl cost the carriers money and in turn prices will increase and plans will change to make up for losses. If you own your own business think about losses due to people taking advantage. Its like stealing

Ed Witles

May 4, 2011
Visit site
Ok, I take minor offense to that. We are really at VZW mercy for any and all warranty issues. And to think big red will side w/ a user?

Personally, I strongly dislike suits of any kind but if there is a KNOWN issue or one that keeps surfacing, then that tells me there is a hardware device issue - not drop induced. And someone should honor that w/o prejudice.

And when was the last time you heard me whine? :)

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Ok, I take minor offense to that. We are really at VZW mercy for any and all warranty issues. And to think big red will side w/ a user?

Personally, I strongly dislike suits of any kind but if there is a KNOWN issue or one that keeps surfacing, then that tells me there is a hardware device issue - not drop induced. And someone should honor that w/o prejudice.

And when was the last time you heard me whine? :)

Verizon does warranty replacements as a favor to the customer. They are not legally required to do so. If so inclined, you can send the phone back to HTC on your dime, they will fix your phone under warranty, and then send it back to you, assuming that it was a manufacturer defect. This information is also covered in the warranty brochure that accompanied the phone when you bought it.

Jude526

Trusted Member
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
I didn't mean to offend anyone but during my time selling wireless I saw many people take advantage and it is just very nerving. It goes with anything actually.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MapleSyrup