Ripping movies...

Storm24

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
Okay now that I have the Xoom I want to start ripping movies and converting them to MP4 using Handbrake. Unfortunetly I am not very good with Handbrake. Does anybody know the setting for output so that the movies will be optimized for the Xoom's bigger screen? Any help would be appreciated!!!!

qnet

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
I used Ifunia for my Ipad and I transferred some of the movies I ripped with that program to the Xoom. They came out good. The Ifunia for mac doesn't work though, at least not for me.

qnet

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
what settings are you running? i was using DVDFab... I have handbrake too. Both on Win7 machine

I'm not sure about the settings, I haven't ripped any movies in awhile. I have Ifunia DVD ripper pro for both PC and mac and the Pc version is the one that works. I haven't tried Handbrake.

gundogg

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
I have not been able to get any encoding level to work yet. anyone having any luck? I am leaving on a plane with 2 kids tomorrow morning... wanted to put some of their movies on it. And maybe one for me too. ;-)

kingboarder

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
I got videos to play in SD and HD using Handbrake's normal rofile without changing any settings.
The 720p video however is a little choppy....

I'm gonna go over to the XBMC forum and partition for an android port:)
Shouldn't be that hard since its already out for pretty much every platform including ipad.

If somebody comes up with a solution for better video playback, please post it here.

kingboarder

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
I found it!
Using the following handbrake setting, you will get files that will play perfectly on your xoom. OK guys, so here it is:

Start off with selecting the 'iPod Legacy' profile.
Then go into 'Picture Settings' and change the width and height to 1280x720
(If you want to achieve better quality and have a 1080p source, you can set it to 1920x1080)
Make sure that under 'Video' the code is set to h264, frame rate same as source and average bit rate 2200
Next up in 'Audio' select a samplerate of 48 and a bitrate of 160
Make sire that large file size, web optimized, and iPod 5g support are all unchecked and then hit start.

I think we can tinker with those settings (especially bit rate) a little more to get a better picture quality, but the method described above already outputs a prety decent result which plays without any stutter or lag for me.

Last edited:

qnet

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
Thanks, I will have to try handbrake out. Does it take awhile to rip dvd's? Ifunia takes a average of two hours.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

flashpiti

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I found it!
Using the following handbrake setting, you will get files that will play perfectly on your xoom. OK guys, so here it is:

Start off with selecting the 'iPod Legacy' profile.
Then go into 'Picture Settings' and change the width and height to 1280x720
(If you want to achieve better quality and have a 1080p source, you can set it to 1920x1080)
Make sure that under 'Video' the code is set to h264, frame rate same as source and average bit rate 2200
Next up in 'Audio' select a samplerate of 48 and a bitrate of 160
Make sire that large file size, web optimized, and iPod 5g support are all unchecked and then hit start.

I think we can tinker with those settings (especially bit rate) a little more to get a better picture quality, but the method described above already outputs a prety decent result which plays without any stutter or lag for me.

How large are the files using these settings? When I rip for the ipad an average dvd movie is usually .7-1.1GB

Reactions: admiral70

theOneAndOnlyMrT

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
As an FYI:

I was able to get VLC streaming from my server to my Xoom. It's somewhat sloppy but it works. The picture quality takes some adjusting as you need to figure out which bitrate and settings works best and which protocol to use.

Using:
Linux VLC on server
VLC S&C on Xoom

pdizzle

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
When I tried VLC S&C, I could navigate to my movies, but it would error out, something to do with not being able to run the play module.