[ROM] VCRom v007

zefie

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
First off, this ROM is designed for those who upgraded to and kept Baseband LS670MVC_60401001 from the VC update.
I have no idea how this ROM will operate on V8 or V9 Radio.

Also, this rom has a custom initrd and kernel. Do not flash any other kernels, including public Xionia Releases.
The Xionia Kernel on this ROM has a custom initrd. New public Xionia releases will delete this initrd.
Old kernels are incompatible with the new initrd. It's a catch-22 really. Thanks LG :)

This ROM is not meant to be used with ANY part of Lego ROM or any other ROM!
If you have any problems with this ROM, do not report them if you have mixed and matched files!

This ROM may or may not require a factory reset.
You are welcome to try to switch to my ROM withour wiping /data, however if you experience any errors please wipe /data, and verify the error continues to exist before reporting them.
You should still wipe your dalvik-cache

Screenshots: (007 shown)
vcrom_007_about.png
vcrom_007_zefiehome.png
vcrom_007_notifier.png

007 Features:
  • Version updated properly in build.prop (no more OTA harassment)
  • Reverted back to stock theme because I fail at themes.
006 Features:
  • Updated Google Maps
  • Updated Market
  • Updated Voice Search
  • Included Sprint Telenav (Sprint Navigation)
  • Included Nick7's Roaming Menu Access (Renamed from "LGHiddenMenu" to "Roaming")
  • More theme enhancements
  • Nexus One Boot Animation
  • Silenced Camera Shutter
  • May fix OTA update notifications
  • Updated to Xionia Kernel 007 (Proper MSM Drivers)
  • Roaming indicator is now visible
  • wifi.supplicant_scan_interval=60 (was 20)
005 Features:
  • More signature fixes
  • More theme enhancements
004 Features:
  • Fixed package signatures, VCRom should now boot with clean /data and for anyone who had trouble
  • 162mb Available Space on factory wipe
  • New battery indicator
  • Removed IQAgent.apk (it wasn't working anyway)
  • New custom stylish black theme that doesn't crash everything :) (Special Thx: UOT)
003 Features:
  • Added AlarmClock.apk
  • Added VCRom Version to build.prop
002 Features:
  • Retracted, theme broke settings
  • New Sense-based black theme
001 Features:
  • Based on LS670ZVC OS
  • Optimized for LS670MVC_60401001 Baseband
  • Completely deodexed
  • root + Superuser.apk
  • Dalvik JIT
  • Xionia Kernel 006 with VC Kernel Drivers
  • Overclock to 748mhz on boot (due to unexpected demand for this rom, I lowered this to increase compatiblity)
  • Minor theme tweaks
  • davlik-cache on /cache
  • apps and framework pre-zipaligned
  • zipalign new apps on boot
  • Other startup routines easily addable to /system/etc/zefie.sh
  • LauncherPro as default launcher.
  • SprintID and Launcher2 removed
  • DeskClock removed
Download Current Version
Download Archives

Donations
PayPal Donations Accepted :)

Special Thanks:
KSmithInNY and beezy for ThundeROM, which dalvik-to-/cache is from
Nick7 for some pointers
Mendoza for UOT
Everyone who donates
Everyone who helps test
Everyone who enjoys Xionia Kernel or VCRom

Last edited:

scifan

Dec 28, 2010
Visit site
Hmmm... can you extract the baseband as well? :)

(and I'm not certain if my phone's happy at that frequency, so I'll pass for now)

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site

(and I'm not certain if my phone's happy at that frequency, so I'll pass for now)

The baseband version number, despite what your phone actually has, is controlled by an apk and not the actual radio for this phone (not typical to normal phones). It should run fine. In all of my time developing I've never seen a version of a ROM that doesn't work with a previous radio version. Without going into detail, there is a well known developer/hacker who absolutely refuses to update his radios yet continues to pump out amazing ROMs.

Long story short, I've yet to see a ROM thats contingent on radios and vice versa. You should be fine. In fact .... I'll bet if you flashed this you're baseband would magically say you're on VC ;)

I think what zefie is saying is he hasn't tested it on anything else so flash now or forever hold your peace.

Last edited:

zefie

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
The baseband version number, despite what your phone actually has, is controlled by an apk and not the actual radio for this phone (not typical to normal phones). It should run fine. In all of my time developing I've never seen a version of a ROM that doesn't work with a previous radio version. Without going into detail, there is a well known developer/hacker who absolutely refuses to update his radios yet continues to pump out amazing ROMs.

Long story short, I've yet to see a ROM thats contingent on radios and vice versa. You should be fine. In fact .... I'll bet if you flashed this you're baseband would magically say you're on VC ;)

I think what zefie is saying is he hasn't tested it on anything else so flash now or forever hold your peace.

Baseband showed new version even when I nandroid'd back to before VC so there is no way.. it even ignored the build.prop version

Page 2 of the update thread with my rom files will explain my theory on the radio.

You are welcome to flash on V8 or V9 radio, let me know if it works. If it doesn't or something is weird, I warned ya :)

Worse case scenario on V8 or V9 radio is either no service or random popups of hands-free (like V11 does on V9-based roms). Nothing a nandroid restore wouldn't fix.

I wish we could. I can get it when Sprint passes OTA updates but the problem is there is no safe way to flash RADIO.img with custom recovery. And we can't test it because 1 failure = permanent brick. So yeah...

scifan

Dec 28, 2010
Visit site
Will there be a way to root the newest update soon? Or if there is, can someone show me a link to it, please? Thanks!

Supposedly the super-one-click will do it...

HOWEVER, it's currently kicking my ***... perhaps I should try it on a different computer...

zefie

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
Supposedly the super-one-click will do it...

HOWEVER, it's currently kicking my ***... perhaps I should try it on a different computer...

In the general section there is a thread about the update.. go to the bottom of page 2 .. i exploited LG's recovery kernel.

They patched the android kernel to prevent known root exploits. Exploit the recovery kernel.

sabbycon

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site
New to the forum but old to Linux. I flashed your rom ver.002 after doing the updates via LG's updater. Now my phone is in recovery loop. I can't seem to bring it back. I get the LG screen then it boots right back into recovery.

Granted I'm no Android Dev and I just got my hands on a droid last week.

Also, rooting this thing is a pain after v11 radio upgrade! :s help?

zefie

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
New to the forum but old to Linux. I flashed your rom ver.002 after doing the updates via LG's updater. Now my phone is in recovery loop. I can't seem to bring it back. I get the LG screen then it boots right back into recovery.

Granted I'm no Android Dev and I just got my hands on a droid last week.

Also, rooting this thing is a pain after v11 radio upgrade! :s help?

Are you using custom recovery?

scifan

Dec 28, 2010
Visit site
booting v3 right now...

First boot seemed to hang on the android boot image...

trying it a second time...

note: I did a factory wipe from recovery as well as wiping dalvik (not sure if that wipes all 3 or not...)

at this point, I've downloaded v1 and have flashed it and am doing the first boot to see if it exhibits similar behavior... (my luck is that while the android screen appears to have freaked, it probably worked just fine... and I just needed to be patient... ;)

Last edited:

scifan

Dec 28, 2010
Visit site
Interesting though... when it seemed to stop... I could adb shell in, but didn't have root at that point... (at least no # prompt)

sabbycon

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site
Zefie, yeah I had Custom Recovery.

I think it was related to the way I rooted my phone. I used Busybox to root it. I basically used it in place of my bin folder cause no commands would run.

So if I remember correctly I took these steps to root:

-Booted into LG recovery
-Ran update.zip
-Pushed rage,su,busybox to sd
-Tried to mount sdcard via shell but failed
-Used leftover rage on my sdcard that I had previously used to root v8/v9
-Gained root
-Chmodded su and busybox
-Ran busybox to execute flash_recovery recovery recovery.img because my system wasn't mounted right
-Reboot into recovery
- Flashed to your custom rom
- Kept booting to Custom Recovery
- Wiped everything and Flashed again
- Still in Custom Recovery loop

Since then I have successfully restored my phone to default. Maybe I'll just update the kernel to xenia 006 and wait till there is better documentation on the process.

On a side note, I had no idea what Busybox is for. I figured it's a command repository of some sort. I used it to run all my standard Linux commands, like this : ./busybox <command> <arg> <path>

Not sure if it was meant to be used in that manner.

scifan

Dec 28, 2010
Visit site
That's exactly what busybox seems like. Honestly, it shouldn't matter how you rooted your phone, as part of the flash update script, your partitions get formatted... So anything you've added is literally removed as part of that process...

I'm back on my rooted stock as it seemed to hang... (dmesg seemed to give a repeating set of messages) I'll give it another go when I'm home from work...

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk

trekkie1701c

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Updated :)

any V8/V9 baseband testers? :)

Will not boot :p

Did a full wipe before flashing, gets stuck at the Android screen after a time.

Attempting to boot safe mode just makes it freeze faster :(

No big issues though, was able to just restore my backup (trying to see if I can get some of today's new stuff has made me <3 Nandroid).

scifan

Dec 28, 2010
Visit site
Will not boot :p

Did a full wipe before flashing, gets stuck at the Android screen after a time.

Attempting to boot safe mode just makes it freeze faster :(

No big issues though, was able to just restore my backup (trying to see if I can get some of today's new stuff has made me <3 Nandroid).

sounds similar to what I'd experienced... I also flashed v01 and tried from there...

I wiped everything... in my attempts... not sure what to think...
(and yes, Nandroid is your friend!)

at least my phone's functional... ;)