Root and custom recovery required to install kernel????

ooshnoo

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Hey fellas...

after years of jailbreaking iPhones, I've moved to the HTC One and have a couple questions...

I'd like to install a custom kernel, and was curious if doing so required to me to..

1. install a custom recovery
2. Root the device.

Then, if rooted, is can I unroot yet still ahve the same kernel?

Specifically i'm looking at this kernel...
[Kernel][Oct21][Sense5.5 & GPe]teaMSeven2.2.8[Flick2Wake|TapWake|BLN|Hotplug|OC|OTG|Zoe|Pano360] - xda-developers

Thanks!
-A

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Hey fellas...

after years of jailbreaking iPhones, I've moved to the HTC One and have a couple questions...

I'd like to install a custom kernel, and was curious if doing so required to me to..

1. install a custom recovery
2. Root the device.

Then, if rooted, is can I unroot yet still ahve the same kernel?

Specifically i'm looking at this kernel...
[Kernel][Oct21][Sense5.5 & GPe]teaMSeven2.2.8[Flick2Wake|TapWake|BLN|Hotplug|OC|OTG|Zoe|Pano360] - xda-developers

Thanks!
-A
Yes, you need to be rooted to have a custom recovery and you need the custom recovery to flash the kernel. Are you just flashing the kernel or also a custom ROM?

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
Yes, you need to be rooted to have a custom recovery and you need the custom recovery to flash the kernel. Are you just flashing the kernel or also a custom ROM?

wrong!!!! you dont need to be rooted to have custom recovery.. you install custom recovery and then root it using the custom recovery(not the other way around).

so you dont have to be rooted after installing custom recovery. All you need is to flash custom kernel from custom recovery

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
wrong!!!! you dont need to be rooted to have custom recovery.. you install custom recovery and then root it using the custom recovery(not the other way around).

so you dont have to be rooted after installing custom recovery. All you need is to flash custom kernel from custom recovery
On my phone I did it the other way around. Maybe the One is different, sorry XD

johnowoss

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I used rumrunners method and it roots, unlocks bootloader and s-off with a one click method. But it doesn't install custom recovery. I used fastboot to install that after. So I was other way around to.

Posted via Android Central App

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dxter