Rooted my TB - update happened - bricked & sent back to Verizon

tromboneguy

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
I purchased a Thunderbolt in June '11, and rooted within a few weeks. Worked well until a Verizon update got past me, and the phone was bricked. Would not turn on or off, occasional amber light when plugged in, but nothing else. Tried several things for a week or two. Finally went to Verizon and let them play with it without disclosing that it had been rooted. They decided I needed a replacement, and I received it today. Sent the dead phone back minus the sim card, the memory card, and the battery. Am I gonna get dinged for the cost of a new phone? Won't they just put it in a pile of phones that need reflashing or something? What do you think??

anthony2558

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Re: Rooted my TB - update happened - bricked & sent back to Veriz

Thats a good question! Seriously, keep us up to date. Id really like to know how far they go, do they really check and of all do they really care???

moosc

Grand Master Moosc
Oct 20, 2009
Visit site

Why didn't u just reflash the original os set up like they do on moto phones with sbf

tromboneguy

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site

It's a valid question moosc. I am a relative newbie, and could not get the phone to respond to anything at all. No computer would recognize it, and at its most active, it would only show a hard drive pic with a green arrow around it. That's all. The rest of the time I was lucky to have the amber light at the top. Completely locked, and the Verizon store was unable to do anything.

fatboy97

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site

And I assume you tried to go into hBoot... while it is powered off, press and hold the Volume Down button, then with that held down press and hold the Power button, holding both down for at least 15 seconds, then let go of the Power button, then the Volume Down button... this is a White screen which will show the S-on or S-off status... also you can get into Recovery from this screen... it's also how and where you should have flashed a new Radio to stop any OTA updates from attempting to download. The S-on or S-off status will show Verizon if you were rooted or not.

Bond32

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site

It is very doubtful that anything negative will happen. I wouldn't worry about it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
arlecchino