Rooted with stock rom question

skinneejay

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
Hello. My nexus s is rooted and that's it. With this new update coming down the pipe can I update and still be rooted?

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk

skinneejay

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
Incase my phone breaks, gets lost. Maybe I accidentally delete photos. My backups and data are sent to my drop box account. So if I got a new phone I could just download the file from Dropbox.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G

digitalslacker

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
Thanks. I will just do that. Will I lose my settings and how my homescreens are set up? I haven;t done this before.

So it's recommended that you wipe data & cache before installing any new ROM. If you do that, yes you will lose your settings and screen setup.

What you can do to alleviate some of the time it takes to re-setup everything is to backup your apps and their data w/ something like Titanium Backup. That won't get you 100% there, probably 80%.

Don't backup your system data and settings because if you restore them, you'll defeat the purpose of doing the data wipe in the first place.

I know some have upgraded without doing the data wipe, you can try that but you'll need to be comfortable getting into CWR to wipe those manually if you have issues.

skinneejay

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
Well my lovely gf was playing a game yesterday and saw the update and it asked to install and reboot. She did. So now I have lost root and all. What are my options. I still have titanium backup and shoot me installed along with superuser. What are my options. Ugh.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G

skinneejay

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
That's it? That doesn't seem to bad. I just get lost sometimes coming from a palm pre where I just updated and all my stuff stayed. Dumb question. How do I do reflash superuser? The su.zip file is still on my sdcard space. Newbie here feel free to laugh. When I rooted I jus used the oneclick step
which basically did everything for you.

chud

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site
That's it? That doesn't seem to bad. I just get lost sometimes coming from a palm pre where I just updated and all my stuff stayed. Dumb question. How do I do reflash superuser? The su.zip file is still on my sdcard space. Newbie here feel free to laugh. When I rooted I jus used the oneclick step
which basically did everything for you.
Reboot into recovery (hold volume up, hit power)
Scroll down with the volume button to Recovery
Select with power button
Install zip from sdcard

go to the folder that has su.zip on it, select it, hit power, go back, go back, reboot.

Reactions: skinneejay

digitalslacker

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
Have you just tried one of the root methods and see if it works with this version? I didn't see anything that indicated it would not.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk

skinneejay

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
I have not tried one of the root methods. But if all I need to do is just reflash superuser I would rather just do that. Much simpler. lol Thank you CHUD!
Hopefully this is the last update until Ice Cream Sandwich comes out.

This forum is so helpful. I love it.

nmoreman

Apr 2, 2010
Visit site
Skinnyjay,
If you wipe cache and dalvic cache (under advanced), you will not lose your settings. If you reset
factory/wipe, it will cause you to have to sign in.

I wipe the first two to change kernels, everything pops right back, no changes.

Roms - you should wipe all three, you will lose everything, but if you have back to Titanium or another called Apps backup restore, just reload those apps after phone is back up, then it will restore from your sd card.

Very easy