Rooting advice needed

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Re: Noob in Need of Advice

I got a Canadian Note 3 as a gift. I have looked up tutorials myself but I still have a couple questions.

Should I root? I prefer minimum functions. Can I delete the apps that I don't want if I root? And what's up with KNOX?

Should I flash a rom? I want to customize my phone but I don't want to sacrifice the S Pen at all. There are roms that preserve the stylus functions, right?

Last but not least, where on earth should I start? I feel so clueless.

This is my first Android phone I'm so happy please don't hurt me...
Welcome to the forums.

Check these out...might help a few questions.

http://m.androidcentral.com/rooting-it-me-some-qa

http://m.androidcentral.com/there-no-magic-root

If anything is unclear, by all means ask.

Sent from an AOSP M8

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Re: Noob in Need of Advice

You can delete non-system apps without rooting. If you root you can delete anything (including files your phone can't run without).

To change the look of the phone, install a few free launchers (I use Nova, but try at least a few different ones), and change your wallpaper and icons (with themes). You can make the phone look completely different without flashing a ROM. (Either one, flashing a ROM or rooting, voids the warranty. Launchers, icons and wallpapers don't.)

Where should you start? That depends. Do you have a phone that can run apps, or do you have a pocket-sized laptop that can make phone calls? Which way you look at it depends on what you're going to do with it. I install any app that sounds interesting. (Most of them turn out to not be interesting, and I uninstall them, but I back them up first - just in case.) My wife, OTOH, added Facebook, Skype and a few games. She texts, the family uses Cozi to keep track of who needs who where when, she talks to a friend she used to work with on Skype. I'm an old programmer and techie, so I use my phone for almost everything. (How can you run a Linux computer without a terminal? I think that's a mortal sin or something.)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rossfrey