Rooting in the morning 9-10-11

rcmarks314

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
I have 2 Bolts. I'm going to root one in the morning after I get off work. I have DL'd a couple of ROM's (gingeritis 3Dv1.0 beta Vlll, Shiftsence 1.4F, and CM7.1.0-RC1.7) I also DL'd 802 radio. I think I'll try CM7 first. I have rom manager on phone #1. I'm rooting phone #2. I can swap sim cards and use either phone but would like to be able to move all apps and data for said apps to phone #2 (after rooting of course) along with all the other data from phone #1 ie contacts, favorites etc. Which is the best program to do such a task? I'd also like to copy the info from phone #1 SD card to phone #2 SD card ( I believe I can just copy via computer) I'm going to use the Revolutionary root method for rooting. is there anything else I should know or DL to make this transition as smooth as possible? Thanks for all past and future help. I only hope to be able to help others in the future.

project.in.process

May 18, 2010
Visit site
I have 2 Bolts. I'm going to root one in the morning after I get off work. I have DL'd a couple of ROM's (gingeritis 3Dv1.0 beta Vlll, Shiftsence 1.4F, and CM7.1.0-RC1.7) I also DL'd 802 radio. I think I'll try CM7 first. I have rom manager on phone #1. I'm rooting phone #2. I can swap sim cards and use either phone but would like to be able to move all apps and data for said apps to phone #2 (after rooting of course) along with all the other data from phone #1 ie contacts, favorites etc. Which is the best program to do such a task? I'd also like to copy the info from phone #1 SD card to phone #2 SD card ( I believe I can just copy via computer) I'm going to use the Revolutionary root method for rooting. is there anything else I should know or DL to make this transition as smooth as possible? Thanks for all past and future help. I only hope to be able to help others in the future.

you need to root a phone in order to backup all of its apps+app data. phone #1 would need to be rooted to perform such a task & have that info available to the also-rooted phone #2. backing up all app+app data can be accomplished by TitaniumBackup (note: do NOT backup ANY system Data. don't try it. it can wreak havoc on your freshly flashed ROM)

contacts/emails can all be synced from phone to phone just by signing in to your Google Account. be sure to "sync now" to all of your accounts in your phone menu before rooting the phone.
Phone1=johndoe@google.com
sign in to phone2 with "johndoe@google.com" account @ the phone setup & all of your phone1 emails/contacts will appear on phone2 (given it's not a Pop email setup)
want to transfer your SMS? download "mybackuproot" on phone1. backup your MMS/SMS/bookmarks. then restore that save-point on phone2 using mybackuproot.

"I'd also like to copy the info from phone #1 SD card to phone #2 SD card ( I believe I can just copy via computer) "--you are correct.

after you root, make sure you immediately perform a backup of your "stock root" ROM using something like RomManager or simply rebooting into Recovery (after its flashed) & going through the Backup/Restore menu. this will be your "safe ROM" incase something goes wrong or you just want the look of stock.

Reactions: rcmarks314

rcmarks314

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the quick reply. I DL'd TitaniumBackup and mybackuproot. Thanks for the system data info I didn't know it could cause problems. I wasn't planning to root phone #1 I want to keep it stock. Can this be rooted and just not flash any rom to it. Thus keeping it stock except for having S-off. Then after everything is ok with phone #2 unroot phone #1. Thanks for your help!

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
You can also try "My Backup" it has options for backing data on non-rooted phones as well, but unfortunately, you really do need to be rooted to backup a lot of stuff.

The #1 that you need root for is backing up your app data. Most of your market apps will auto-magically redownload and install on the new phone once you sign in with your google account (this functionality may depend on the ROM you load), but even if not, you'll be able to go to the market and install most of your apps again easily by going to the "my apps" section. The thing is though, you will not be able to restore data to those apps unless you have a full backup done with Titanium or MyBackup. (I prefer Titanium for apps and data, MyBackup for settings/contacts/sms/etc).

Be sure your contacts are saved to Google, and not to the local device, if you do have contacts saved to the phone, you will want to back those up or export them prior to switching phones. If they are saved to your Google account, they will automatically sync with your new device once you sign in.

Also, this is just advice that you can take or leave as you wish, but if this is the very first custom ROM you are flashing, I'd recommend flashing a Sense-based ROM (such as Gingeritis) vs. an AOSP ROM (such as CM7). I say this only because it will allow you to familiarize yourself with the flashing process, while still maintaining an OS you are somewhat familiar with. Once you're comfortable with the flashing process, along with doing backups and restores, then by all means try out CM7. Again, just my 2 cents...I personally prefer to keep unknown variables at a minimum when I'm learning a new process such as this.

rcmarks314

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
My Backup will be DL'd if I remember right it doesn't backup the data parts of apps. I will try Gingerities first. Thanks for the heads up on this. I saw a few bugs on Gingerities and that was my reasoning for going with CM7. I've sen that there are fixes for the problems folks are having with Gingerities and I'm sure after rooting I'll be able to handle anything like small bug work. I do have the VZW backup for contacts but haven't found the time to figure out how to transfer them to phone #2 yet. ie I have looked into it yet but I will before rooting. Thanks for you help!

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
My Backup will be DL'd if I remember right it doesn't backup the data parts of apps. I will try Gingerities first. Thanks for the heads up on this. I saw a few bugs on Gingerities and that was my reasoning for going with CM7. I've sen that there are fixes for the problems folks are having with Gingerities and I'm sure after rooting I'll be able to handle anything like small bug work. I do have the VZW backup for contacts but haven't found the time to figure out how to transfer them to phone #2 yet. ie I have looked into it yet but I will before rooting. Thanks for you help!

There are way to many ROMs for me to have tried them all. I'm currently running BAMF 3.0 RC 4.9 as my everyday ROM. It's pretty stable. I've heard very good things about the latest BAMF ROM, the Uber preview 3 as well. Not trying to sway you from Gingeritis, because I haven't tried that. But, based on the bug reports from each, I decided that BAMF was less likely to have bugs that affect the stuff I like to use on the phone.

Before I install anything new, I always read over the forum posts for several ROMs -- and then try to avoid ones with bugs that I feel will be gamebreakers for me. One thing I've learned is that each thunderbolt seems to be unique as well as each person using them. A ROM that is perfect for one person may not work at all for someone else, and so on.

One thing I guarantee, you will not regret rooting and learning to flash ROMs, it really opens up a whole new world.

rcmarks314

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
Everything went well. Had a few change of plans. I decided not to root phone #1 and only rooted the other. Was thinking about CM7 but on the advice of paintdrinkingpete decided to try BAMF 3.0 RC 4.9. I don't have much time to play with everything being that last night was my first night back to work and I'm tired as h e double hockey sticks. I flashed the 802 radio and everything seems fine. Love the look and feel can't wait until 2maro to get some playtime with this. For now I've left just enough time for me to kick myself a few times (for not doing this sooner) before going to bed. Very much thanks to paintdrinkingpete and project.in.process for their invaluable info.

wildman

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site

On rooted device MyBackup will be able to save apps and data, once you option on rooted device it detects it is rooted and give you option to automatically activate rooted access features.

rcmarks314

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
I found and used App Backup & Restore to backup apps from nonrooted phone. DL"d the same app to rooted phone and moved everything to SD card from phone 1 and put it in phone 2 and restored all apps. (without data of course) I hope I can keep up with the updates from BAMF. I'm starting to like this ROM flashing stuff. I hope I don't become a ROM junkie (I'm getting this itchy feeling in my arm) LOL. Thanx to all of the good people who responded to this post. I hope to return the favor to a root challenged person as I once was.

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
I found and used App Backup & Restore to backup apps from nonrooted phone. DL"d the same app to rooted phone and moved everything to SD card from phone 1 and put it in phone 2 and restored all apps. (without data of course) I hope I can keep up with the updates from BAMF. I'm starting to like this ROM flashing stuff. I hope I don't become a ROM junkie (I'm getting this itchy feeling in my arm) LOL. Thanx to all of the good people who responded to this post. I hope to return the favor to a root challenged person as I once was.

Yeah, the newest BAMF ROM, "BAMF Forever" is really great. It's pretty normal to get a lot of updates right away after a ROM releases, since it will obviously be in the first few days that the majority of the bugs will be discovered. (Although they've been really cranking out the updates on this one, pretty much daily!). After that, however, you can expect the releases to slow down considerably once everything is "stable", and the team(s) go to work to prepare new projects. At least that's how it normally goes.

I'm the kind of person that will flash a new ROM everyday on new releases that I like, as I have been with this newest BAMF ROM. If you'd prefer to not have to deal with constant flashing and updating, however, I highly recommend always waiting a week or so to let the let the dust settle...then download and install the new ROMs. I have a feeling BAMF Forever is getting pretty close (if it isn't already there) to stable. Also, pay attention to the change logs as the ROMs get updated -- sometimes the fixes are minor in nature to fix specific problems with specific apps and such, that may not be worth the time to update if you don't use them.

rcmarks314

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
I had a couple of problems with 1.0.3 call answer and gallery hide. I bumped the cpu up a notch because the screens were a bit laggy on wake up. I was on BAMF's site going over the 2k plus posts on this Rom and saw someone say the answer bug might be from the cpu being a little slow to kick in right. Maybe bumping up the cpu will solve the answer bug by default, I'm going to stay with .3 for a few days to see if the answer bug goes away before flashing .5. I also saw that a format of system, data, and cache in the Mounts and storage should be done with a full wipe. I didn't do this before I installed .3 so everything might be right if I had just done my wipe properly. I'll do a battery stat wipe too. After a couple of days on .5 I'll have to load the 5x5 app drawer. I like that look.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
uaintshit