Rooting newbie: Should I?

jerry72

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Hey all

I've had my EVO for over a year now and thinking about rooting - should I? I'm bored with it and want to have some fun but have NO idea where to start which ROM to use, etc. Could someone point me in the "right" direction? I don't even know all the possibilities that come alone with rooting except for being able to enable wifi hotspot and getting rid of bloatware.

All help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Jerry

EVO 4G/unrooted/Android 2.3.5

tayl428

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
Just read the threads stickied in this forum that you posted to. It should answer all your questions.

Rooting is like taking the red pill in 'The Matrix'. It will open your mind to new mobile options and possibilities. You will begin to leave your laptop at home when you travel. Your love life will be better. People will refer to you as a 'technical guru'. Insane riches will come your way..... ok, or maybe not... but if you like to tinker with things, especially your computers, you will LOVE this.

Illusions

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
You have nothing to lose at this point and time. HTC and Sprint view this phone as dead. So you will get no further support from them. If you want to continue to use and enjoy the phone, you will need to take matters into your own hands and root the phone.

Don't be afraid. It is not that complicated and there is a lot of people that can answer questions and help.