Rooting Nexus to use ProxyDroid?

littlebigman

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Hello

This page explains that the best way to let web browsers access the Net through a proxy on an Android smartphone is to 1) root the phone and 2) install ProxyDroid.

I want to access web sites from my Galaxy Nexus through a web filter to rewrite web pages on the fly, but since Privoxy isn't really ported/supported on Android, a second-best solution I thought of is to keep a small Linux appliance at home running Privoxy, and configuring my Nexus to use that remote proxy.

But before I go ahead, I'd like to make sure I'm not about to brick/break my phone since I'm happy with the stock Android 4.2.1 (JOP40D.I9250XWMA2).

FWIW, the phone is already running ADB because it's required by the MyPhoneExplorer application that I use to sync the Nexus with Outlook on my Windows host.

Is it as simple as running the Fastboot application on the Nexus + Windows, and installing ProxyDroid?

Thank you.

Ryandroid86

May 1, 2012
Visit site
Im not sure what you are asking... looks like you already know what to do. Fastboot is probably the best way to push Proxydroid to the phone. Fastboot flash (extenstion) (file name.ext)
Just be aware that unlocking the bootloader will wipe your phone clean.

**And if you love stock 4.2.1, then you will be blown away with some of the custom ROMs you can install. Way faster.

littlebigman

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the infos. I don't know how to get ProxyDroid to the phone, but I'll read up.

Is there a site that lists the main custom ROMs? I only knew about CyanogenMod.

Ryandroid86

May 1, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the infos. I don't know how to get ProxyDroid to the phone, but I'll read up.

Is there a site that lists the main custom ROMs? I only knew about CyanogenMod.

Of course. This website has everything you need regarding Rooting. Samsung Galaxy Nexus - xda-developers
Make sure you pick the right phone.. (sprint = toroplus, ATT & Tmo = Maguro, Verizon = Toro)
the Maguro thread just says Galaxy nexus development, and just look through there.... all the Roms start with [ROM], Kernels with [KERNEL], etc.
there are also helping threads, like [HOW TO]

ps. be careful on this website. If you dont search before you ask a question... they will tear you a new one. But its very resourceful and helpful.

Last edited:

littlebigman

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the infos + advice.

At this point, I have to find what the consequences are to rooting the phone (such as what happens to my data + installed apps), how to get back to normal in case ProxyDroid didn't work to connect to the web proxy running at home (too bad no one supports Privoxy on Android), and whether new official releases of Android will install OK or if rooting means I'll have to stick to non-official ROMs from then on.

Ryandroid86

May 1, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the infos + advice.

At this point, I have to find what the consequences are to rooting the phone (such as what happens to my data + installed apps), how to get back to normal in case ProxyDroid didn't work to connect to the web proxy running at home (too bad no one supports Privoxy on Android), and whether new official releases of Android will install OK or if rooting means I'll have to stick to non-official ROMs from then on.

The nexus Bootloader is made to be unlocked if you wish.... so its easy to root or unroot. The consequences... youre updates will be up to the specific developer ROMs. If they stop updating the ROM then you will no longer get updates.... But the Nexus community is huge and will most likely never Die. Someone will always be making/updating ROMs.
But dont worry. They are better than stock ROMs with even more features without running the feel of stock. So in my Eyes its a Win Win.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jannel91